Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a seat for my 1970 CL450. My main problem is that the foam on my existing seat has basically turned into powder so I would be inteterested in one that has a bad cover but good foam. Does anyone have something that might help me for sale or an idea on where to come up with new foam. I have thought about just buying some foam from a fabric shop but that would require talent to shape it. Something I dont have much of. :oops:
Don

·
Registered
19 Posts
I guess any original seat will have a poor rubber/foam base. A good upholsterer will make a new foam and can shape it to your desire before covering it. I am thinking of having a flatter look seat on my 70 CL - It looks a bit tall to my eye and I don't like the raise at the back.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an upholsterer near me. I think what I will do is get a new cover and take the seat apart then take him in the cleaned up pan and new cover. That may save me a few bucks if he doesn't have to do the dismantling and clean up.
Thanks, Don

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
You have to be careful what foam you use on these seats. I've spent a lot of time and money trying to get my CL350 seat comfortable and it's still not right. Honda used some sort of special high density foam and then cut small squares into to give it the flex they wanted. I currently have a foam base made out of 2" of carpet foam then shaped. It seems to have the density I need but I haven't installed it yet. Right now my CL350 is the best running bike I own but also the most uncomfortable and gets the least use because of the seat.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in the same boat with my 450 Scrambler. I love riding it, runs great, but the seat is really uncomfortable. This one hinges from the rear too so it is hard to find.
I took an old GoldWing seat I had that the cover was shot on and used that foam, I just cant get the shape right. I am getting closer.
Thanks for the help.
Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts