Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of tackling an engine rebuild in the not too distant future. Looking for recommendations for a machinist in the greater Bay area. Farther out into central or Northern California is fine. I went to my local Honda dealer to ask who they use but I was told modern engines don't require machine work ever. They suggested I start calling machine shops and asking if they do motorcycle work. I'll do that as a last resort if no one here has any input.

So Californians, who does your machine work?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I am a little east of CA, but FedEx, UPS, USPS all deliver to my door if you would want to send the parts to me for the machine work.
TOOLS

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I went to my local Honda dealer to ask who they use but I was told modern engines don't require machine work ever.
Man, I wouldn't bet on it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a little east of CA, but FedEx, UPS, USPS all deliver to my door if you would want to send the parts to me for the machine work.
TOOLS
I appreciate the offer, but I've got three sets of cylinders I want measured to find the best one and shipping would get out of hand pretty quick on three top ends.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, I wouldn't bet on it.
He told me this and I asked, "what happens when someone needs an overbore?" His reply was that for 20 years or so all cylinders have been nickasiled. Still I wonder......

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
If you are boring the cylinders for new pistons, why does it matter which one measures the best? It is the measurment after the boring that maters.
TOOLS

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not. There are no oversized pistons for this engine.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I need is to find which set of cylinders is in the best shape and which pistons are best. I also will need valve seats ground and I'm thinking of milling the head down a little.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
In that case, just get a hone and run it through each cylinder up and down 5 times. Then look at the crosshatching, and whichever cylinder has the most even crosshatching is the one you want to use. Then look at the pistons, see if there are any scratchs, or wear marks. If they look good, take a feeler gauge (start with 0.002 and go up from there) and insert the gauge into the top of the cylinder, and then insert the piston. It should just have a little drag on it. As long as it does not fall through with a 0.0035 feeler gauge, you should be good. Poor man's way of doing it, but it works.
BTW. What engine is this?
TOOLS

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would you recommend the three stone or dingle ball type hone? Engine is from a CB450C nighthawk.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
You have to use the hone with the long straight stones. It will show any high/low spots and wear. Just like using a long board file when doing body work. The dingleberry hone would just give an even hone across the whole cylinder. If the cylinder has a lot of wear, you will see some really cool egg shapes in the crosshatching.
TOOLS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts