Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need new sprockets and a new chain for my 81 Hawk. I am looking to get a little more low end acceleration. I don't do too much higher speed riding, but would like to be able to still be able to do 70-75mph comfortably. I was looking to go with 15/37. Gearingcommander shows 6500rpm at 70.6mph and 7k rpm at 76mph. Seems reasonable, but I was wondering if anyone has tried the combo, or if there is a reason I shouldn't do it.

Side question: I know its debated, but does anyone have any input one way or another regarding using an Oring/Xring chain versus a standard one on the Hawks? :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have always kept the stock gearing on all my bikes, but honestly in my opinion the best thing to do is try it. If you like it stick with it, if you don't then you can always try something else.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
+1 on try it you might like it. Worse case scenario is you don't and have to buy a different sprocket.
I use an O-ring type chain on the road bike because it encounters all sorts of riding conditions. The T1 and 350 are running conventional because they're both fair weather bikes.
In any case the chain needs regular maintenance, lube every 300 miles or 2 tanks of fuel, inspect every tank of fuel

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
If your chain and rear sprocket are in decent shape, the cheapest way to find out if you want any lower gearing is to just drop one tooth on the front sprocket - the result is better acceleration but more revs at speed. no changes are usually necessary except to adjust the chain more to account for the smaller front sprocket, and you can always change back to your original prior to spending all the money on both sprockets and chain at the same time

1 - 4 of 4 Posts