Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at an engine this morning for my 1971 CL350 off FB Marketplace. Seller is asking $150 obo. It is from a 1970 CB350... unknown miles and unknown compression readings. I have packed with me a 12v lawnmower battery, jumper cables, plug socket and compression gauge.
I plan on using the battery to spin the engine over and test compression for each cylinder prior to purchasing (provided there is ample oil in crackcase)
Am I missing something else that I need to test? Any other thing I should be looking at that I can't think of?
Pics of the engine from FB attached. Thoughts on price and advice welcome!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I think it's a decent approach. Not the perfect scenario to check out a used engine better to know something than nothing. $150 is a decent price for something with potential (they're all old and will need something regardless). Make sure you include checking the trans for shifting through all 5 gears... you'll have to spin the front sprocket to do it since the clutch and mainshaft are covered by the clutch cover. Spinning the engine won't help you with test-shifting the trans since the front sprocket might also turn, and you won't have enough hands by yourself to hold the front sprocket still while connecting the battery cables to turn the engine and work the shifter, so take a JIS cross-point screwdriver (essentially a #3 Phillips) and remove the front sprocket cover, spin the countershaft by hand and click each of the gears with a shift lever to see that it goes through all 5

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well. I just got back from checking it out. 125 on each cyinder. Not quite as high as I would like but for a 1970 engine with no history, it gives me something to work with. Perhaps a valve adjustment may improve the compression some. Regardless, he took $100 for the engine (worse case scenario, I could part it out and make my $$ back plus some) and I have a donor engine for my original engine that siezed.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Nice - definitely worth $100 with 125 on both sides. Equal is always a good start (hopefully accurate enough to count on). Did you check the trans - shift to all 5?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did not have enough hands or time to check the gears, but I will. I have a lot to go thru before I put on the bike but I think I have a good start! I definitely plan on changing the cam chain tensioner arm while it is on the bench, new points, etc, etc...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This engine came off a CB350. I plan on putting it in my CL350. Any modifications needed or same engine? Looks exact to mine but asking the experts on this forum. Engine is stamped CB and it will drive me nuts knowing that it is! I guess I'm a purist and like matching numbers! Besides, it is only a temporary engine to keep the bike moving till I get my original engine overhauled.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
The only difference between the CB & CL motors is:
The Serial # Prefix CB Vs. CL
And possibly the Kick Start lever. - The CB needed to clear the low exhaust where the CL did not and there were a few different levers used throughout the years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts