Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started riding motorcycles in 1965 at the age of 16. My first bike was a Honda Sport 50 that I had bored out to 65cc. I put 14,500 miles on that bike riding the back roads of Pennsylvania. While I was selected by several colleges, I chose the one that allowed me to have my bike on campus with me the first year.

My father took us to Tokyo in the summer of '65 I got to tour the Honda factory. I was awestruck. We spent two months in Seoul, South Korea at a resort that had a stable of Honda 305 Dreams.

My second bike was a Honda 305 Dream that I towed from PA to CA in 1973. It was my only means of transportation for several years. When I moved to Indio, Ca.in 1974 I purchased a 750 four. 1976 was a pivotal year. I sold all my Hondas and started riding Harleys exclusively for the next 30 years. I recently sold my last Harley and am currently in the market for a 450, 550, or 750.

As George Thorogood sings, I will 'ride till I die.'

·
Registered
146 Posts
Welcome!!! Fascinating history. It would be a real treat to have the opportunity to tour the Honda Factory!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was surreal. I was 16 and the ceiling was at least 80 feet high with row upon row of motorcycles suspended in the air. I needed a couple of parts and they were kind enough to sell them to us. There were fewer than 100 foreigners in Tokyo at the time, so we were a novelty. The Japanese followed us around wherever we went.

Our hotel room was bugged, I found the listening device in the radio in our room. After watching the influx of 'made in Japan' on everything in the late 50's and early 60's we were blown away one day in the Ginza shopping district. My mother picked up a trinket and looked on the bottom. It said 'made in California'!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good morning Gary,
I have a similar history here in Pa., but my first bike was a Honda CT105 (Trail 55) that was handed down to me by my older brother in '65. A camper friend of my brother's had a Sport 50 that he bought as a wreck and fixed-up. I envied him with his "real motorcycle"; it was blue.
I went to Penn State main campus in '69 (with my Super Hawk, which I still have) and there was a "Gruber" on my floor in dorm. Could it have been you???

Welcome to the forum!!
Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good morning Gary,
I have a similar history here in Pa., but my first bike was a Honda CT105 (Trail 55) that was handed down to me by my older brother in '65. A camper friend of my brother's had a Sport 50 that he bought as a wreck and fixed-up. I envied him with his "real motorcycle"; it was blue.
I went to Penn State main campus in '69 (with my Super Hawk, which I still have) and there was a "Gruber" on my floor in dorm. Could it have been you???

Welcome to the forum!!
Mark
Nope, not me. I did my first year at Duquesne University, second at Wilkes College, and last two at Syracuse University -- but I did have a bunch of friends at Penn State 67-71.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the reply Gary.
Good luck in finding the bike you want. There seems to be many bikes for sale in California when I look at bikes for sale and there seem to be a lot of forum members there too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bikes here are extremely overpriced, but I have my eye on a fairly decent '71 CB450 right now if I can get it for the right price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts