Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals of Honda Twins.

I've been reading posts for about a year now as I build my first CB450 Chopper from the ground up. Throughout the process I've always seemed to find my answer to a problem until now.

Here we go,

I replaced both coils and condenser, and am about 99% sure I hooked the wiring up correctly between them and the points. When I added them into the circuit the left coil burst in the white smoke and the black wire (that connects to the right coils black wire and runs to the black wire in the diagram) melted itself in apart.

Any info or pointing me in the right direction would be very appreciated.

Running this wiring below and from what I read power for the ignition and lighting connects to the left pointing arrow (Black wire).
BasicHondaChargingCircuitBatteryjpg.jpg

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
The Black "arrow" wire should have been connected to the black/white (positive) wires from BOTH coils....Preferably through a "kill" switch....
The yellow "point-side" (negative) from one coil goes to both the yellow condenser wire and the yellow points set wire.....
The blue (negative) wire from the other coil goes to the blue condenser and the blue point-set wires.....

IF you did not wire the coil positive side wires through a "kill" switch, (or the "kill" switch is set to "run" if it is in circuit), the engine MUST be started immediately after turning "on" the key (main) switch or the possibility of burning up a coil (whichever one has its points closed) exists..... THIS sounds like what happened to you......

I don't know if I can be much help at this time as the coil is likely a goner, BUT, you may phone to discuss....540-525-5199....Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Black "arrow" wire should have been connected to the black/white (positive) wires from BOTH coils....Preferably through a "kill" switch....
The yellow "point-side" (negative) from one coil goes to both the yellow condenser wire and the yellow points set wire.....
The blue (negative) wire from the other coil goes to the blue condenser and the blue point-set wires.....

IF you did not wire the coil positive side wires through a "kill" switch, (or the "kill" switch is set to "run" if it is in circuit), the engine MUST be started immediately after turning "on" the key (main) switch or the possibility of burning up a coil (whichever one has its points closed) exists..... THIS sounds like what happened to you......

I don't know if I can be much help at this time as the coil is likely a goner, BUT, you may phone to discuss....540-525-5199....Steve
Hey Steve,

Nice to meet you! I've actually read a ton of your posts and you've been more of a help than you think hahaha.

So yes, both coils and condensers are hooked up as you mentioned. The Ignition Switch on the diagram above is where I have my "Kill Switch". Since I'm running a minimal wiring rig I don't have a key ignition either, just the toggle On/Off switch. As soon as the kill switch was turned on the coil stated smoking, and wouldn't have a chance to even start the bike as it happened immediately.

When I buy a new coil what do you think I should be doing differently?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts