Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've known for some time that the auto parts chain stores had tool "loaner" programs, but was surprised to see that Autozone had a cylinder hone on their program. If you've never used their program, it's really simple. You buy any tool on the loaner program, have up to 90 days to use it, then return it to get your money back. Their hone accommodates bores from 2 to 7 inches, and worked really well for my SL350 cylinders. I chucked it up with my cordless drill and was able to deglaze and crosshatch my cylinders in short order. Better yet, I didn't have to shell out money for a tool that I'll probably never use again.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Those hones are quite aggressive and you can increase the bore diameter very quickly. I once used one to "fix" a scored cylinder and fitted an oversize piston. I did have cylinder bore gauges at the time which showed some out of round and taper but for the application it worked well enough. Not something I would recommend.

You should always check piston ring gap before and after honing and use new rings with proper gap. You can also check taper by comparing the gap at the top, middle and bottom of the bore using thickness gauges just make sure the ring is squared up in the bore.

I never power hone a 350 cylinder, just a quick swipe with 400 grit abrasive paper I buy from a paint supply house. SIA is the mfg.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts