Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I "thought" I read somewhere on here that it's a good idea to use this stuff to seal the carb bowls. I was at the auto parts store the other day and the kid gave me a tube of the stuff that "should work". So i just finished putting this sticky **** on and I noticed on the back of the tube that it says not recommended for parts near gasoline. In your opinion should I strip this stuff off? or am I ok?

Thanks.

Here's the stuff...
http://www.permatex.com/products/au...mum_temperature_rtv_silicone_gasket_maker.htm

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Re: Liquid gasket maker on carb bowls...Yes...No...Are you n

I would take it off. If it's not compatible with fuel then it'll turn to mush and probably plug something up.

·
Registered
265 Posts

I would strip it off. :?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I thought that was going to be the answer. Thanks

·
Premium Member
617 Posts

No idea what it was, but I've been running this red liquid gasket stuff on my Vespa carburetor bowl since 1998. Came in a tiny tube and I had to let it dry overnight. So far, it's doing the work of a black rubber gasket that I obviously didn't have back then.

So I know they make stuff that will do what you're looking for. For the 350 carbs, I'd try to find the same thickness black o-ring material and cut it to length and apply a dab of RTV at the point where the two ends meet. Should seal up fine. If your float height and float valve are functioning correctly it shouldn't put a lot of fuel at the seal anyway.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts

I just sealed up my bowls with Permatex Hylomar and a Cork/rubber home made gasket. The Hylomar took the place of the float bowl rings that I do not have. Care must be taken not to let it glob up into the bowl and get on the float. It makes for a quick test of the overflow tube. :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts