Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone my name is Marc. I just joined Honda twins and wanted to thank all off you for making this site possible. My project is a 1971 CL350 that I picked up from a guy in North Park last friday. He had his own CL350 project going so he let me have this one with a clean title. She was really dusty from the two years she had been sitting. I've done a few things over the weekend. I bought a new battery, Cleaned out the carbs, replaced the front inner tube and lots of basic cleaning. I'm waiting for some oil filters to come in so I can change her oil before I try to turn her on.
I ordered a couple of this she needed like a lift piont handle and rear signal light.
Still need to get some signals for the front. My plans are to keep her looking vintage but with droped bars Drag not Clubmans.
Let me know what you guys think of her and if you think I should check something else before I fire her up please let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
There is no oil filter on that bike. Not any conventional type of filter anyway. Just an (centrifugal) oil slinger/filter...

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I was aware of that I still want to have it changed.
I was thinking of just changing my oil but decided to wait and change the filter while im doing that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I ordered those filters for no reason?
I thought you could change that!!
I even found oil filters for it on ebay.
Thats why im waiting for my repair manual to come in.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Yep, you ordered filters that won't fit your bike. I've seen them listed on Ebay and the sellers are simply wrong. They list all kinds of models just to attract more buyers.

Have a look at this parts fiche to get a better understanding of your engine.

Number 9 shown here is your "oil filter" It's a metal cup that the engine spins to throw heavier debris from the oil. You remove the cup from the engine and clean it out. That's the only way the oil is filtered. Besides the screen on the bottom of the oil pump anyway.. You'll need the tool from motionpro to get the special nut off to remove the centrifugal oil cup "strainer".

http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/ ... 9_bdef.gif

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0015/

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much.
I did some research and I see exactly what you mean.
I knew joining this forum would help.
I'm kinda new to the whole twin engine thing it's reall fun though.
I'm learning something new everyday.
Ill send those back and get me that tool.
Once again thank you so much.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A lil help? Today I changed my oil and decided to put a bit of gas in the tank to see if she would fire up.
Tryed the kickstart and the electric starter but no luck. I havent recieved my Clymmers manual I ordered in the mail so im hoping some can help. I noticed the yellow feul line that runs from the bottom of the carb is not hooked up to anything its just hangging on the bottom of the bike I noticed it dripping gas but I dont know where it goes.
I dont really want to take her into a shop I want to work on her myself. any tips or solutions? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
You need to tear those carbs off and clean them. I'm certain your floats are stuck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I already did all that. carbs are nice and clean.
While I was sitting here My Manual came in the mail. Kinda cool.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
The tubes are connected to the overflow tube inside the float bowl. So, if you're getting fuel dripping out it could be a few things causing it:
  • Stuck float[/*:m:15t8rlkj]
  • Incorrect float height/leaky damaged float[/*:m:15t8rlkj]
  • Cracked overflow tube[/*:m:15t8rlkj]
  • Dirt preventing the float needle from seating correctly, so fuel is not shutting off[/*:m:15t8rlkj]

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The battery in there was brand new.
I think it might be the carbs when I cleaned them the first time I didnt remove the upper housing so I didn't clean under the diaphram. The slide was stuck in one of the carbs. Thats taken care of now but I noticed the gasket for the float bowl was broken. I figured id get a whole new set of gaskets since the ones on the pilot jet and 2nd main jet weren't so good either. I ordered those at a local bike shop. Theyll call me when they get them. Today I got my rear siganls in the mail. Wasn't to happy when I found out I got a rear signal and a front signal!?!? Called the people I ordered from down at ebay. They said they would correct the problem what ever that means.
I think hes just going to send the rear bracket so I can change it myself.
Im planing on keeping the back off the bike classic with a cafe looking front end. I ordered my Drag bars today along with some nice bar end mirriors. Hope they get that order right.
Ill keep you guy posted on any other thing I do to her.

Question how important is the ground cable on these signal lights? I noticed the front signal didnt have a ground cable.
I took out the front signal light's stem so I can use that housing with the other rear bracket the seller from Ebay is going to send me. He said he was sending another rear light but the wires where dead so I figured just take that bracket and use it with this housing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Cl350k3guy said:
Question how important is the ground cable on these signal lights? I noticed the front signal didnt have a ground cable.
I took out the front signal light's stem so I can use that housing with the other rear bracket the seller from Ebay is going to send me. He said he was sending another rear light but the wires where dead so I figured just take that bracket and use it with this housing.
As with all the turn signals, the grounding is very important. The front and signals work differently. The rear signals as seen in your picture has two wires, one of which is a ground. The rear signals are rubber mounted and need the ground wire.

The front signal as seen in the picture uses a ground as well but the ground wire is attached to the large nut inside the headlight. The stem in the picture screws into that nut and provides the ground to signal body.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you.
can't wait for my bars to come in. I got my lift point handle in the mail today does any one know what size screw it need to bolt on (Not the shock). I know it's not an M5 but the M6 is to big can any one help? I have a screw in there just to show that an M5 doesnt lock. Im not actually using it like that.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Cl350k3guy said:
Thank you.
can't wait for my bars to come in. I got my lift point handle in the mail today does any one know what size screw it need to bolt on (Not the shock). I know it's not an M5 but the M6 is to big can any one help? I have a screw in there just to show that an M5 doesnt lock. Im not actually using it like that.

I hate to scare you, but it's definitely a regular ol' 6x1.0 bolt.
If that doesn't work, then someone has screwed up the threads - try running a tap through it.....

And brand new batteries can be bad right out of the box - if it can't spin the engine easily, then it's compromised.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Bill It. I didnt actually try the M6 ill get one tomorrow to check it if not Ill figure something out. Ill try to rethead if I have to.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I forgot to mention that I also changed the negative battery cable as well. The old one wasn't that great.
Im sure i could have use the old one but i didnt like that it was broken.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts