Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally completed my 12 volt conversion! The last step was switching all the bulbs to LED's and adding additional brake lights to the rear turn signals. An additional wire was added on the hot side of the modulator and run to the brake lights. The single filament bulb socket was replaced with a two filament socket. I now have three brake lights instead of one. I added a brake light modulator to the rear brake lights so they now all flash and then go steady. (You can find them on eBay or KapscoMoto.com $10) The turn signals required a "Metric diode adapter" (Bikemaster sells this wiring kit $6) in order to keep all four turn signals from flashing at the same time. In all it took about two hours to switch everything over.
(By the way cheapest place I've found to by LED lights is Wal Marts, they run about $15 a pair.)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
That sounds like nice work. How bright are your LEDs in daylight?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slightly brighter than stock bulbs. A lot better than the 6 volt bulbs! One issue with the LED's is that the light faces up and down, not straight back. I'm looking for bulbs that shine straight instead of to the sides.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
These LED bulbs are designed to use with reflectors. You wouldn't want to point them directly at coming traffic anyway. They are too bright and would blind incoming drivers.

Mine is plenty bright as is. In fact some drivers even flashed their lights at me thinking that I have my bright beam on.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Maybe something like this?
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/license-light-bulb/67-led-boat-and-rv-light-bulb-15-led-forward-firing-cluster-ba15s-retrofit-105-lumens/2438/

I'm not keen on using or suggesting led bulbs that haven't been tested by a reliable forum member, I have not used this one ever and have no idea of quality or longevity. I just found this listed as 'forward firing' and thought I'd show it to ilustrate the wide variety of led configurations available for an 1156 bulb.

I'm not sure if I'll ever want leds on a daily rider but I did buy some really cheap EBay/Chinese led signals for my 250 project ($1.60 each)
Incandescent bulbs do not have a sudden dark state and when used as a turn signal the light output appears more as a sine wave, while leds simply go light-dark-light-dark.

I've spoken to a few coworkers (we put on lots of miles) and the concensus is that leds put out a smaller pinpoint of light, and the light-dark-light-dark flashing takes longer to recognize than an incandescent bulb's sine wave style 'full bright-cool down-full bright-cool down' style of flashing, especially when the weather is wet, foggy or snowy. Leds may be fine in the mall parking lot or to tell when your hard drive is being accessed but for real life safety out on the road maybe not so much.

Here's a video that shows the difference pretty clearly, the kid gives no opinion, he 'doesn't know' and says so many times, honestly i expect more from someone driving a $50,000 car.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
That's a great comparison, Alan... the bulb's slower response time is, to me, the better for inclement weather, as you mentioned. Some LED taillights and turn signals in front of me at stop lights are almost too bright and can be really annoying. Guess it's going to take the car manufacturers a while to get the usages dialed in better (if they actually do)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Thanks Tom, not trying to hijack the thread but does anyone have experience with led brake lights? It seems to me that brake lighting would be a good application for leds as long as daytime brightness is good.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Well, it kinda is on topic... :D I bought an LED bulb for my 450 taillight/brake light (pricey, 2 to a pack for $20, Sylvania from an auto parts store) and I like the brightness and overall display, much better than the first one I tried (which died an early death from the vibes of my 450). So far, this one has held up to over 225 miles of riding since the bike has been re-assembled

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I think the OP was actually referring to LED headlight bulbs regarding "One issue with the LED's is that the light faces up and down, not straight back." The headlight LEDs are extremely bright so you wouldn't want them facing you directly.

Turn signal LEDs are low powered bulbs and aren't as bright.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess a bit of clarification is in order. I've replaced the turn signals and brake light(s) with LED's. The headlight is Halogen H-4 bulb, it's bright and is properly adjusted as to not blind on coming drivers. The rear turn signals are rewired with a Two filament socket, thus adding two more brake lights. (I opted not to add a tail light in these.) The rear lenses have been changed to red in order to comply with NY's motor vehicle laws. (Brake lights must be red, turn signals can either be red or amber.)
Yes, the LED's shine up and down using the reflective surface inside the lens for most of their light. The stock Honda lens unit is not highly polished (inside) so this effect is limited. The rearward shining light as suggested may provide more or better light for this set up.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Sounds interesting... You should post a video or pics of the result. I changed out all lights with leds a few months ago. Been intending to do a video but haven't got the chance. Would be nice to see different setups and ideas. Though, my dash light indicator is still not working fully because the factor circuit wasn't intended for led indicators. Needs a little new engineering to solve it and booked solid for a while.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds interesting... You should post a video or pics of the result. I changed out all lights with leds a few months ago. Been intending to do a video but haven't got the chance. Would be nice to see different setups and ideas. Though, my dash light indicator is still not working fully because the factor circuit wasn't intended for led indicators. Needs a little new engineering to solve it and booked solid for a while.
You'll most likely need: -https://www.customdynamics.com/media/wysiwyg/product_instructions/MDK_Tech_sheet_printer_friendly_version_.pdf

Simple to install and it solves the problem of all the lights blinking at the same time.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah I had a electric diode order from O'Reilly and they lost the order or forgot I ordered it. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to look for another supplier. I rewired the turn signal circuit and blink relay to solve any problems with the new leds turn lighting. At some point I'll do a video on it, but I basically got rid of one set of wires and simplified the design. Cost was a factor for me. I spent 10 dollars on a blinker relay and whatever the diode ends up costing. I think it was about $5 at O'reilly. I think most people replace brake, head, and turning lights with leds but don't usually do the indicators for the dash. That's where the real fun is!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The "Metric Diode" was the easy way to go. I didn't want two turn signal lights, or have to wire for two lights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts