Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m needing someone to chime in here who's been down this path before. I repaired the wiring harness that was heavily “cooked” at the magneto/battery area and have connected the wires in the headlight bucket. I get the neutral light but no headlight, signals or tail light.
I have a female solid brown that has nothing to connect to it and the schematic shows a solid brown from tail light to the switch. Hmmm. don’t know what to do about that.
However, if I take a test lead and touch it to the bottom of the headlight bracket (where the green wires connect to the ring and adjuster frame) and touch it the lower triple clamp bolt, I’ll get headlight and tail light.
The front signals are OEM’s with two wires instead of one. I have a black from each going to the respective lt blue for right and orange for left with the extra wire going not attached to anything. I have the same scenario there; no turn signals, but when I touch the unattached wire to the triple clamp bolt, they’ll light up solid – no wink.

With the CL175 the headlight bucket ears are completely isolated from any ground contact with the frame bits due to the rubber grommets within the ears and the rubber bushings at the top triple clamp.
How do I get the bits to light without cobbling up a makeshift ground?

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
You have grounding issues.
Generally there is a tab on the headlight mounting nuts (inside the shell) that you can use to hook a green wire to ground.
Any green wire on the bike should be a good ground..........

·
Registered
608 Posts
and the loose brown wire in the headlight is a extra, using for model with a pilot/guide beam lamp (Euro), check the bulbs in your turn signals, single filament = one wire is a ground, dual filament (running light and turn signal) base of signal must be grounded, TBP is right sounds like no ground

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Tom, Usually under the tank near the flasher and coil connections there is a female Green wire connection. This goes to a Green wire with a loop connector and that is grounded to the coil bracket bolt... I suspect yours is unplugged, or missing.... Making this connection will "carry" the ground through the harness to the headlight shell area and the Green wires in there....... Steve

I just remembered our discussion about the steering dampers....LOL....I'm getting old!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts