Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in high school, a friend had a dirt bike, a YZ150, or something like that. He wanted to sell it, and I wanted to buy it. But, I couldn't figure out how to work the clutch, and my parents wouldn't have let me get it anyway. So I just never learned how to ride a motorcycle.

Fast forward to last year, I was 32 years old, and decided now or never. So I took an MSF class up north, and while waiting in line at the DMV I saw this awesome little bike that another guy had brought for his neighbor to ride during the test. We got to talking and, since he was selling, I was buying. The next day my brother and I drove up to his house, put the bike in the back of the truck and drove it home.

There were some problems last year, sure. The bike wasn't running right; it was running too rich, didn't want to idle for too long, the idle would wander, etc. An over zealous friend "helped" me adjust the carbs, since I am not really mechanically inclined, and it ran like crap afterward. I knew I would have to rebuild the carbs at some point, I just didn't want to do it.

While riding to work one morning, the bike all of a sudden got very loud. I looked down and the right side muffler baffle was hanging out. So I turned around and rode home. By the time I got home the baffle was completely gone. I drove up and down that street at least five or six times looking for the baffle, but I never found it.

So, figuring it wouldn't be too bad, I just used a broomstick to knock the other baffle out of the muffler. Let me tell you why that was a big mistake. First, the bike had no power. I could take off at first, but then the bike wouldn't get over 5 mph. No back pressure, I guess. Second, due to the shape of the mufflers (shaped like megaphones) the pipes were so loud that a cop heard the pipes from the other side of town (it's a small town), and came to find me and tell me to shut it off. I set off two car alarms with the pipes. :D

The very day I got the new pipes on, I was taking it on its inaugural ride. It was sweet! It had way more power than it did with the old pipes. Well, I stopped at my mother in law's house for a few minutes and when I came out, I guess I forgot to put the kill switch in the "run" position. So the bike wouldn't start for nothin', and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why. Dumb move. When I finally did notice it was not in "run", I put it there and fired it up. The left carb, which was flooded, backfired and caught on fire. Fire department was called, extinguishers were used, neighbors got to watch my humiliation.

Rebuilding the carbs was not as difficult as I thought it would be. I did it over two days. I'd never done anything like that before, but for some reason it worked. I also had the wiring harness replaced this year because some of the wiring was melted in the fire. But the battery and everything is okay. So far this year there hasn't been much to tell. It's been a nice ride.

This is the bike in the back of my brother's truck. It was raining that day, that's why I didn't ride it home:

Here it was today after I rode out to get lunch:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Loads of 360 guys here these days man. Glad to have ya! You're damn lucky that the whole bike didn't go up in smoke...

Now, pull all the knowledge from the forum you can and keep her maintained and running.. ;) Then it'll be your turn to offer advice for the newbs before you know it... :D :p

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Oh man, I have been down that "killswitch is in OFF" road a lot when I first got my 360.

·
Registered
163 Posts
krukster86 said:
Oh man, I have been down that "killswitch is in OFF" road a lot when I first got my 360.

:lol: :lol: Id say the number of folks on this board that has never happened too is pretty darn small. In fact my son did that very thing just last week and I gave him a little "ahem" and kinda nodded at the switch.

:shock: (him) :lol: (me)

Phil, GOOD on YA Bro! :cool: 1st for taking the plunge and buying that dude AND 2nd for working thru the carbs and issues that come with having an old classic. The pleasure we get from them is definitly worth whatever pain we endure.
Nice bike! ;)

GB's sure right there. Ive seen bikes burn completely down and it aint fun watching your baby go up in flames. :cry:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About the kill switch... I've taken to leaving it in run all the time now, and just using the key to kill power. Now if I could only remember to shut off the petcock...

Oh, and the mufflers are just the cheapest ones from the catalog at my local Honda dealer. Nothing special about them. They make the bike nice and quiet.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
phil said:
Now if I could only remember to shut off the petcock...
If there's one thing you need to remember the most, that'd be it.. The day that thing starts leaking and fuel gets in your crankcase, from that day forward you won't likely forget again...

GB :mrgreen:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.