Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a Keyster carb kit from a well known supplier of these kits. I am cleaning one carb at a time as I find this the best way to keep from mixing parts etc..Well Just as our moderator (LONGDISTANCERIDER) has repeatedly said,Many aftermarket inlet needles are wrong size.Float height is supposed to be 15.5mm ideally for a 1981 Hawk 400.Because of the almost 1mm installed height difference of needle ,this causes the minimum float level to be almost 18mm,NOT GOOD (Anybody good at Pythagorean theorem?) .These are non-adjustable floats.
So ,as has been repeated many times on this site,GO WITH HONDA PARTS, gaskets and needles.
NOW i HAVE TO SPEND ANOTHER $40 TO GET THE INLET NEEDLES THAT WILL WORK.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Option for you.
Buy the black early floats and then you can buy the cheaper aftermarket float needles to match
Reproduction Float & Pin - 16013-679-005 - Honda CB/CM400 CX500 CB750 CBX GL1100
Honda Composite Carburetor Float 16013-679-005
Thanks for this,just wish I hadn't rushed into buying the Honda needles.I really thought the vendor would have helped me out here.I asked for $20 back to cover half the cost of correct needles.
And also,I want to say thank you personally for all the information you have gathered and posted here on this site.Invaluable.
Cheers,Ed

·
Registered
84 Posts
Had a similar experience with a brake lever which didn't fit, ended up getting an original one from Thailand which came in the honda packaging etc.I always now try and get the original part if possible using the cmnsl parts catalogue.It may be more expensive but it's worth it, and saves a lot of hassle.

Cheers, Grazman

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Beware of original OEM carb gaskets. I used them on the CB450 K5. Turns out ethanol gasoline didn't exist in 1972 and they lasted about four months. Things got really messy on the last trip home. I cannot speak to the SOHC twins.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Just curious, Sirius or Fortnine? Guessing Sirius, although I have been quite happy
with all my purchases from them.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Beware of original OEM carb gaskets. I used them on the CB450 K5. Turns out ethanol gasoline didn't exist in 1972 and they lasted about four months. Things got really messy on the last trip home. I cannot speak to the SOHC twins.

I'll second Jim on this one. I too had bad experience using OEM gaskets on my carbs.
Replaced them with the ones from 4into1 and I have not had any issues since.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update:
The vendor is going to send me 2 different sets(2) of these inlet needles from two different manufacturers.So,hopefully one of the sets will work.But,I have already ordered the Honda oem parts.
I'll update again after I get them.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Using LDR's pictures, the needle valve on the left, the one with the wire "hook" the early one, they are for the black tanged floats, and the other needle, the one on the right, with the "flange slot" are for the solid white floats.

The solid white floats have 2 "fittings or feet" that slide into the needle flange slot.

The black floats tang slides into the wire "hook".

They are not interchangeable, ie they only fit the float they are designed for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vendor quickly sent 2 pairs of these aftermarket inlet needles from different manufacturers.They are all too long by about 1mm.Putting float level out of spec.I will be using Honda parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.