Honda Twins banner

Left point always on, right point won't turn on?

881 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mike in idaho 
#1 ·
So I've been teaching myself about my 1970 CB350. There's no spark on the left cylinder. I first checked the points using a multimeter and found they were good, so I went to the points next. Using a test light I clipped it to the right point and grounded the other side. The light never came on when spinning the rotor.
I switched it to the left and the opposite happened, the light never went off. Does anyone know what this could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
Are the points properly cleaned and gapped(new points come with cosmoline on the contacts)? There should be battery voltage at the points terminal with the points open and no voltage with the points closed. Pull the plug wire off and snap it onto a spare plug, lying on the cylinder head. With the switch on and the points open ground the points arm to the base plate with a screwdriver(or touch between the points), that should produce a spark. With the points closed, prying them open should also produce a spark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.