Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The handlebars on our 1973 Honda CL450 needed the rubber bushings that the mount goes through on the bottom replaced.
The old rubber bushing were rock hard and shrunk allowing the handlebars to move front to back an inch or so.
No problem with the installation, handlebars are much better BUT .... laying on the ground below the lift was
a wire mechanism with a washer on each end connected by a wire (Please see attached scan)

It looks electrical to me. But I tried the starter, turn signals, horn, headlight and neutral light ... all work fine.

Can you please tell me what I need to do to get this part where it belongs?

I appreciate your help.

Thank you

rsmith
Clarkston, Michigan

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It's the ground wire from the bottom of one handlebar mount to one of the gauge mount bolts, to carry a good ground from the forks to the handlebars since they're rubber-mounted

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you "ancientdad".

Since I didn't touch the instruments, I think it fell off of the 12mm bolt that held the handlebar bolt on.
Is it possible it was not attached at the end that went to the instrument?
The "washer" on one end is the size of a quarter and the other is much smaller.
So the larger one mounts on the bottom of the handlebar mount and the small
one to the closest instrument bolt?

I can't thank you enough for your help. The bike sat in a museum for 27 years and
who knows how many other owners, over the past 46 years, worked on the bike.

rsmith

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
There are NOT ANY 12 mm handlebar bolts on this bike.... The bolts holding the riser caps that clamp the handlebars are 8 mm bolts......

Sorry, (my pet peeve) but calling a bolt "size" by the wrench (opening) you use to rotate it is just wrong and can be confusing to less experienced members......

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
It's the ground wire from the bottom of one handlebar mount to one of the gauge mount bolts, to carry a good ground from the forks to the handlebars since they're rubber-mounted
My CM400C had a similar ground wire, I believe my 91 CB750 Nighthawk had one too. I'd bank on every Honda with similarly rubber mounted handlebar risers having one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts