Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any information on where I might get a hold of a left hand tap and/or a left hand heli-coil?

The short story is that I tried to loosen a bolt on a Suzuki T500 oil injection pump and it turned out it was a left hand thread. Trust me, it doesn't take much to strip a '75 oil injection pump. It's an expensive part and that's if they were still available.

If you think some Honda parts are hard to get try working on an old Suzuki. sheeeze, you can't even get a head light bulb.

·
Registered
608 Posts
can you tap it larger with right hand thread?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
If I remember correctly, the left-hand thread was to prevent vibrational loosening.... The only suggestion I can offer would be a custom banjo bolt and R/H heli-coil with red Locktite.....I'm sure ther are L/H taps available, but L/H helicoils are questionable.... Check with helicoil manufacturer.................

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jayel said:
can you tap it larger with right hand thread?
It's a possibility but then I'd have to make up a special bolt that is used to secure a shaft in place. Making the bolt is probably not out of the question then I could just use some Loctite Red but that would probably be a last resort.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
66Sprint said:
If I remember correctly, the left-hand thread was to prevent vibrational loosening.... The only suggestion I can offer would be a custom banjo bolt and R/H heli-coil with red Locktite.....I'm sure ther are L/H taps available, but L/H helicoils are questionable.... Check with helicoil manufacturer.................
I've found some LH inserts at McMaster Carr but they only list standard sizes and not metric. I sent them a message asking about Metric so I'll wait and see.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I am not sure what size you're dealing with but a lot of bicycles used left handed bolts/nuts for the same reasons.

try a couple of local bike shops they may have the drill/tap and insert and can do it for you for a modest fee.

or, buy the tools you may need?

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?i ... _id=CU-017

1 - 6 of 6 Posts