Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the left point slid as far left as possible. So that the cam follower is hugging the cam as tight as possible. Problem is that no matter where it is on the camshaft the point gap is super small something like .010

It's the same bike that's in my sig w/ only 2500 miles on it. Any suggestions?

Follow up question...
When using a timing light (for example we'll say left cylinder) when the bike is at idle the index line and the LF should be align correct? Then when I rev it to 3500 the index line should fall somewhere between the 2 advance timing marks? Is that correct?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
The fibre 'heel' that runs on the cam has worn down.
New set of points will cure.

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Im inclined to agree....new points.... BUT the second question states what should be occurring correctly.......

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. Thank you. Do I need to just buy the points or the whole points plate assembly?

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Just new points should be fine. Good luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. So I just rechecked the timing using a timing light. At idle the left cylinder LF mark lines up with the index mark right cylinder lines up with the F mark. Now if I check the timing at 3500 rpm the 2 advance timing marks look like they still have to go another 40 degrees or so before they even get to the index mark. Am I doing something wrong?

Here's what I'm assuming it should look like at 3500 rpm:

Index line>....................|
Advance timing lines>......| |

Thanks for your help!

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
your assumption is correct.....but 40* is more than what the entire advance moves (it's more like 20/25*), so, I'm just guessing ... Unit stuck either open or closed ....This is based on your getting accurate LF and F fire points initially.........

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Could be as simple as "the wrong washer" on the bolt that holds the advance unit in/on... Otherwise cleaning and lube....Either way, you'll have to reset the points plate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts