Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What could be the reason for my left exhaust header to be getting smoking hot after a few minutes of running while the right remains reasonably warm. The plug is covered in black and dry while the right one is less so and slightly wet around the edges.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The super hot one could be running too lean. Or the cool one could be running way too rich. The headers get insanely hot even when tuned properly in my experiences.

My stainless DRZ header glows cherry red after a full throttle pull at night and it's tuned to near perfection.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Funky,

Are you certain that right cylinder is firing at all? Maybe try disconnecting the right side spark plug wire and GROUNDING it. Then start the engine and see if you notice any difference in running and/or exhaust pipe temps.

Mike V.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Mike....What benefit would grounding out the plug lead on the coil have?...actually, you are grounding out/wasting the battery power by doing so... (the secondary windings are also connected to the "hot" wire of the coil)....Just trying to follow your logic..... :?: :shock:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey now Steve,

I am just recommending that the secondary (high tension) side of the coil be grounded since that "pulse" (when that coil fires) will need to find its way to ground somehow once the spark plug is disconnected and if the plug wire is not grounded the coil may be damaged.

Mike

·
Registered
636 Posts
i had the same thing, turned out that the idle and slow jets were COMPLETED clogged so the right was just not running so not getting hot fast. try pulling just the throttle on the right (cold) carb. bet it does not cause the engine to run faster but causes roughness.

make sure the carbs are clean. thats my guess. good luck.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Mike...I see your reasoning, but it's not necessary.... The induced "pulse" will just dissipate if it has nowhere to go.... The coils should not be harmed.....On the other hand, if it is grounded, it uses battery power reducing the amperage available to charge/fire the other (test) coil, and could theoretically overheat as there is no "break" of current flow through it...........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts