Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I read this old post by dgalagher . when searching for vibrations in my bike(cb450 K2)

"After I tune the bike following the manual, cam chain, valuves, timing, carb adjustment. I then let the bike idle at 1100, I pull the plug lead off the left plug and with my bike, yours may differ it usualy chugs on three to four more times on the right side before it dies, I replace the left lead start the bike back up and repeat the process by pulling the right plug lead. If either side runs on much beyond three or four chuggs or the bike continues to run I have not addusted the carbs correctly and it is not in balance."

Tried this, and after removing the right side spark plug lead the bike gave a couple of chugs and died. Left side the bike continues to run for more than 1 minute (didn't think it was ever going to stop) I have had the carburettors off many times . Have synced and adjusted floats but I do intend to do it again now that I have gained more experience.
Is this a sign that my carbs are way out? the bike starts , idles and the pressure at rear of mufflers feels the same
I removed plugs after doing this test .. right plug =good, left plug= sooty (dry)
Don't know compressions numbers .

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
How long the engine will idle with a plug pulled doesn't mean much. If one plug is sooting up indicates the ignition is faulting. How old are the coils, wires and plug caps? Are you using points? How old is the condenser? I suggest a new ignition. Trying to make a original ignition to work would be a challenge. If the engine is pulsing evenly then the carbs are balanced. The only place that matters it at idle and when the engine comes off idle. After that the CV slides will provide the correct balance.
Set the timing on the left side by rotating the points plate. Set the timing on the right side by adjusting the point gap. From what you describe I think the rest of the tune is good. When you get the timing right left and right the bike will come alive.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI Jim. Thankyou. the coils and the condenser are original. plug caps are new. Points are new and I have been setting the points as you describe (found an old post by Bill Lane)When you say new ignition do you mean replace coils and condenser ? Thanks ,much appreciated

1 - 3 of 3 Posts