Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today as I started my bike to take it to work, that at choke it was only running at 1500, and its usually at 3k. Didn't really think anything of it, but felt the headers, right warm, left cold. Revved it a couple time and it started to warm up. Let it sit and idle and the right started to cool down again. It only seems to do it at idle. I drove it to work, and when I shut off the bike, both headers were hot. Could it be my coils? Haven't checked my plugs yet, so I suppose one could be fouled, but it runs fine once you're going.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
I had a similar issue with a Yamaha XJ550. 2 on the right got hot, 2 on the left didn't. Swapped the spark plugs and 2 on the left got hot, 2 on the right didn't. Plugs looked perfectly ok but a new set solved the problem.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Switched plugs, still does it, only at idle. It does hesitate a little from 3.5k - 5.5k as well. I ordered some coils from mikesxs, so hopefully rhat solves it. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Sounds to me like the slow speed jet is plugged on that carb.
Don

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Every once and a while at idle it seems like it kicks on, weird. I guess I'll rip the carbs off and clean them, and then install the XS Coils and give her a whirl. Hopefully it works.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got done re cleaning the carbs. Both slow jets were clogged, but they are all good now, only problem is, left cylinder is still cold at idle. It seems to kick in around 2-2.5K, I think. Replaced the plugs, still does it. Not sure what else it could be. Only thing that hasn't been replaced as of yet is the coils, which I ordered from Mikes XS, so I hope it's the coils, otherwise, I'm stumped.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Hate to butt in, but sounds like you may need to consider de-funkifying and sealing your tank, and using some in-line filters.
Your jets keep getting plugged up - it's easier to address that once than to keep tearing the carbs apart....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did that, forgot to mention that. I farted around with the tank before and put on a filter after the fact. But it was too late, so I knew I had to clean them again.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I kind of solved it, and it's super odd. I figured while it was running on one cylinder I would pull off the timing cover to see how the points are doing. SO I pulled the cover off, kicked her over and bam, 2 cylinders. Sweet, figured something was stuck, put the points cover back on and boom, one cylinder. Pull the cover off, 2...and so on, and so on. I thought maybe the gasket was hitting it, so I cut some of the excess off around the points, put it back on, still runs on one. Even if I just put the cover on and don't tighten it, it'll run on 2, the second I tighten both those screws down, bam, shuts down to one. Only thing I can think is, somehow, someway the left cylinder point is touching that cover and either shorting, grounding out or not being able to move because of it. But when it's on, I can't see in there, obviously. There's no marks on the inside of the cover, so it seems nothing is touching it, but something HAS to be. I thought of buying 2 or 3 gaskets and sandwihcing them together to give a little more clearance, possibly. Not sure what else to do. They are points from an aftermarket tune-up kit for a 360, so I'm wondering if possibly those points are taller/wider/something than the stock points? ANybody got any other suggestions or had this same weird problem?

Thanks for all the help so far!!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
That's a pretty common problem with 450's - I guess it's possible with 360's too??.
Most of us use a couple of gaskets like you said......

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whoa...that is weird. Gaskets are $10 each, so Hopefully 1 will solve it. If not, Hopefully I can find another! Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
diloret2 said:
Whoa...that is weird. Gaskets are $10 each, so Hopefully 1 will solve it. If not, Hopefully I can find another! Thanks for the response!
Make your own - just trace the existing one on to a piece of gasket stuff from the auto part store......
It's not a critical gasket, no oil or anything - it just keeps the weather out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dad actually suggested the same thing. So when I get the new gasket, I will be doing just that!

Thanks dude!

·
Registered
134 Posts
when i bought a new gasket from honda i use the ship board that is comes on and trace the gasket and cut it out and now i have a template.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It might be better (and cheaper) to buy a roll of cork/rubber composite gasket material (it's much thicker than the paper gasket) and make your own gasket (also good for the alternator cover gasket). Check the wires to the breakers passing through the front of the contact breaker box. I've had a worn through insulation on one of those cause a problem somewhat like yours.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought the same thing when looking at the wires, but they are both still good. A friend suggested the same cork gasket material, so I will be pickin some up today!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts