Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriends uncle swapped me this crusty 1980 Yamaha XJ550 in exchange for ripping a bunch of his old vinyl onto CD. Dont wanna spend anything (beyond wear parts) on this one if possible...I have plenty of XS and RD leftovers that may or may not fit. Its gonna be a rat bike, well, its already a ratbike, but I wanna make it legal and reliable.

Anyone recommend a helpsite or manual download for this bad boy? I've found XJbikes.com but is there any other good ones?

Cheers
Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
TIme to break out the angle grinder and make some art.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
leethal said:
My girlfriends uncle swapped me this crusty 1980 Yamaha XJ550 in exchange for ripping a bunch of his old vinyl onto CD. Dont wanna spend anything (beyond wear parts) on this one if possible...I have plenty of XS and RD leftovers that may or may not fit. Its gonna be a rat bike, well, its already a ratbike, but I wanna make it legal and reliable.

Anyone recommend a helpsite or manual download for this bad boy? I've found XJbikes.com but is there any other good ones?

Cheers
Lee
Mate, come talk to me!!
here's mine plus 100cc

Rod

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Ratbike? The rats in this part of the world don't look near that good.

I have an XJ550 Maxim I fixed up last winter with a lot of help and advice and a few parts from the guys at XJbikes.com. Nice bunch.

Notice it has the increased stopping power of a dual disc front end from a Honda 750. At least that's what I was told it was from. Makes it a Yamahonda I guess.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
J-T said:
I have an XJ550 Maxim I fixed up last winter with a lot of help and advice and a few parts from the guys at XJbikes.com. Nice bunch.

Notice it has the increased stopping power of a dual disc front end from a Honda 750.
Didn't it already have the dual disc setup? Mine has twin rotors as does Rods...
I know that my '79 XS650 came stock with dual front disc while the same model in USA did not.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
At least the US model 550s had a single disc front brake and were considered by really hard riders to be somewhat weak. Guys tried various mods to increase braking performance but as far as I know mine is the only one around with a Honda front end. :lol:

I think it's uniqueness should be a real plus when I go to sell it next spring so I can spend next summer riding the Honda and recruiting next winters project. :D

Biggest drawback I see with the XJ is it has too damn many carburetors and they're really fussy! :|

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dirtbag said:
TIme to break out the angle grinder and make some art.
What he said. Free bikes make the best canvas.

That tank is pretty cool!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts