Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1981 CM200t. I put LED blinkers on it and they wouldn't work, they all 4 lit up at the same time and stayed on. I ordered an electronic flasher from superbrightleds.com that was supposed to fix this problem. After hooking it up, with the wires reversed, the blinkers blink but, all 4 at the same time. I know it isn't the wiring because when I plug in the old tail light and rear blinkers everything works fine. If someone can tell me what needs to be done to get the LED blinkers to work properly I will greatly appreciate it. The flasher I bought is "LF1-S-PIN Universal Pin Motorcycle Flasher".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I reversed the flasher wires, which are gray and black, at least that is what was hooked up to the original flasher. Before I disconnected any wires I labeled them. I've been reading about having to put a resistor in each blinker line but I don't know exactly what size resistor to put in or where to get them. I'm making a café racer out of the bike and these blinkers not working is holding me up from not being able to complete the bike. I guess if it comes down to it I'll have to get smaller conventional blinkers and tail light.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Resistors are added when the original flasher unit is used, not necessary with the electronic unit.

If I understand correctly the problem with all 4 lighting up together happened after you changed to the LED lights and before you changed to the electronic flasher unit. If that's the case something in the way you wired the lights in is the cause of your problem. Pictures might help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll take some pics later today when I go to my shop. I didn't do anything to the wiring. I unplugged everything from the connectors, I didn't cut any wires at all. The front blinkers will blink along with the old rear blinkers when I plug the old blinkers up. I took off the rear fender, tail light and blinkers as one unit. As you said, pictures will help. I'll post the pics soon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok. here are some pics. the first pic is of the wires to the tail light and blinkers. the second pic is with the blinkers plugged in. the third pic is with the brown wire and the green wire with a yellow stripe, marked "Y" & "Z". i know the orange and sky blue wires are for the blinkers and the dark green wire with the triple female connector is ground. the brown wire and the green wire with yellow stripe are for the tail light. the fourth pic is of the flasher. the flasher has a black wire and a gray wire. when i hook up the regular flasher the blinkers all come on and stay on, i even tried reversing the wires. i hook up the electronic flasher and it does the same thing until i reverse the wires, then the blinkers blink but all 4 at the same time. i don't know if it's because of the LED's, which i'm sure it is or if the old tail light is wired in a screwed up way. i'll take the old tail light apart and see what i find.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I do not know if this will help for you but I have a Jonway YY250T scooter that I converted over to all led bulbs and the rear bulbs blinked fine but the front would not light. After careful testing I found the issue to not be at the flasher at all. If you test the negative and positive right at the bulbs in the front the Chinese reversed the polarities right at the bulbs in the front right at the factory. I checked to see which leads actually had the power. the original bulbs would work no matter what but with led the positive and negative must be exact. So as i installed the new led's i tested the leads and attached them properly to the led bulbs by "tested" positive and negative not color coding and every light on the bike work as intended now without having to invest in a new flasher unit just had to make sure that i did not go by color but actual tested positive and negative. Which is easy to do

·
Registered
185 Posts
Can you add picture of the electronic flasher documentation (only the wiring diagram). It would also help if you could add picture of your bikes wiring diagram and highlight the modifications you did and points where the new flasher unit was connected. It is hard to say what is wrong without knowing the details.

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
A phone call can cure this......540-525-5199.....Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello, did anyone find a solution to this problem? I have the same bike, 1980 CM200t, and got some 6 volt LED replacements. That's all I've done, and all four turn signals light up as you describe here (no flashing). I understand that installing the LF1-S-PIN Universal Pin Motorcycle Flasher will get them to flash, but all four will flash at once like hazard lights. superbrightleds.com says that using a MDK-1 metric bike diode kit will solve this problem because this bike has a single bulb turn signal indicator. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
971 Posts
The diode kit is definitely what you need. We have them as part of the LED conversion we do on our wiring harnesses.

The problem is that in the stock setup, the polarity of the indicator light switches depending on if you're signaling left or right. When you swap the LEDs, the required current to make them work is so little that both sides light up.

You can test this by disconnecting your indicator light on your dash.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks! I just found a 6 volt flasher sold out of the UK and ordered that. Will take a month or so to arrive, I imagine. Do you know if the diode kit will work on a 6V system? Guess I can buy it and find out. Or I just disconnect the indicator like you mention. who needs a flasher indicator, right?

·
Registered
86 Posts
The diode kit is definitely what you need. We have them as part of the LED conversion we do on our wiring harnesses.

The problem is that in the stock setup, the polarity of the indicator light switches depending on if you're signaling left or right. When you swap the LEDs, the required current to make them work is so little that both sides light up.

You can test this by disconnecting your indicator light on your dash.
I don't think I understand the test for this. Will disconnecting the indicator light on the dash remove the need for the diode?

My problem is that rather than having the LED's I bought stay on all the time, they don't come on at all (to flash or not). Seems like from what I have read here and on other stickies, they should have enough power to stay on all the time, even if they don't flash. Or is the fact that I have not yet replaced the flasher unit or added a diode kit the reason that I don't have any lights?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Without a correct flasher they won't work, sometimes they will turn on and sometimes not.
The diode setup is to split left and right for the indicator. Otherwise when the left is used the right side flashes also and vice versa

1 - 16 of 16 Posts