Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this one's been covered before, but I'm not sure where I should start looking for a bad ground. I'm on 100% LEDs, with two-wire lamps in the front and single-wire lamps in the back, but the front running lamp wires are disconnected and capped, so attempting to only use the flashing filament (though to be honest, I guessed at which one that is - the wires are black and red, not stock). Current wiring is each signal is wired to its own 4-way connector in the headlight as so:

Turn L
Orange wire from harness (to rear signal)
Orange wire from left control
Red wire from left signal
Magenta wire from diode

Turn R
Light blue wire from harness (to rear signal)
Light blue wire from left control
Red wire from right signal
Magenta wire from diode

The magenta wires go to a diode and then to the light blue wire from the flasher indicator bulb. The other side, the orange wire from the flasher indicator, is goes to ground.

The front lamps themselves ground through the stalks to the headlight bucket. I used to have the threaded-on ground wires on those stalks, but they didn't seem to be doing much, so I pulled them (famous last words, eh?). I may try them back on to see if it helps.

Other fun information - swapping the black and gray wires on the flasher relay blows my main fuse.

Sorry for the brain dump, electrical is not my strong suit guys :D I'm hoping someone much smarter than me spots an obvious idiot move in there somewhere that I'm not picking up on.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Which bike?

Is the flasher for LED's?

Do you have a single flasher indicator or dual? If single, did you add the diodes to it?

Never mind about diodes.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, it's the '75 CB360 - it's a single flasher indicator as well. The flasher is for LEDs, yessir - it, the harness, and the diode are from Sparck Moto.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
If a single indicator bulb, the light blue going to the indicator should be hot (+12V). Diodes should look like this and the stripe should be oriented like this. Text Font Line

On the diode drawing the light blue wire would connect to the light blue to your turn signal switch and the orange next to it would connect to the orange to your turn signal switch. The single orange wire would go to the orange to thr single turn signal indicator.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Let me see if I can make a quick drawing to make it clearer.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Line Text Diagram Font Parallel

The stripes on the diodes must be the way shown.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
On mine I did have to switch the wires on the flasher.

Verify all of this with your wiring diagram.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting - I'll give that a try when I'm at the bike. The diode is pre-wired from Sparck, but I trust that he's got it facing the right direction. It looks like I need to swap the light blue from the indicator to a hot wire in the harness, and move the orange wire from ground to the end of the diode, which is where the light blue is right now. I'll follow up with results, thank you Jim!

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I looked at a wiring diagram for a CB360T and it shows the setup is the same as mine.
Yep, if Sonreir made them they are correct.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No dice, unfortunately. Tried the orange wire on the single end of the diode, with the light blue to power, and got nothing at all. When they’re arranged as before, orange to ground and light blue to the end of the diode, I’m actually getting very faint solid light out of the signals now, so I think I need to start by re-grounding the stems with the nut/leads, as it doesn’t seem like the bucket is a very good ground.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not a problem at all! I've made that same mistake looking at the color diagram, the dark green is very near to black. I appreciate your advice though, Jim! I've got a refill of bullet connectors coming, and that'll let me get the grounding set up correctly again - once I've got that confirmed, I'll try grounding the light blue and putting the orange in the diode. I wonder if I've fried the flasher relay too, with the dimness... the fuse didn't blow when I reversed the wiring on the flasher this time, so maybe I'm creating additional work for myself :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts