Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a new headlight from superbrightleds on my wife's 80 CB400T today. Fit right in after I squished the wiring around some, and plugged directly in. No adhesives, no fabricating anything, just plug it in and squeeeeeeze it in there. I haven't wired the "DRL" bars on the top and bottom yet, though. Turn signals are LED now, and significantly brighter. I left the rears as regular incandescents though so I don't have to play with wiring, only switch out the flasher (winker?) relay for a digital one.

I've got an HID H4 bulb in my 02 Shadow ACE and it's not as bright as this is.

Installed:
LED off.jpg

"Low"
LED low.jpg

"High"
LED high.jpg

"Low, ~20 ft"
LEDlow.jpg

"High, ~20 ft"
LEDhigh.jpg

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
It's pretty fugly, but that doesn't matter a bit if it illuminates the road, surroundings, and things in both better than what you had (which is not necessarily the same as "brighter than what you had"). Also important is that it not blind oncoming drivers when on low.

I assume it manages both of the above things well?

One question, though: Isn't a headlight supposed to shift its focus (aim?) slightly when switched from low to high?

Regards,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's not exactly the original style haha but it definitely illuminates way better than before. The previous one just put a yellow dot about 3 feet wide and 20 feet in front of the bike (adjustable forward and back), but this one is nice and wide. It's got a good sharp cutoff so it shouldn't blind people.

I don't know why the headlight doesn't really shift focus when switched to high but it's still putting more light at the old high beam location, so I'd call it an improvement.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Looks cool! I swapped out all of my lights including the rear marker lights and did not have to change any wiring at all. I went to an H4 headlight and it is drastic compared to my wife's OEM lamp.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
That looks like a good light, yeah a bit funny looking while parked but I like to see where I'm going plus at 40W draw it's taking less power than my 55/60W H4 bulb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts