Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago, expensive HID conversions were the more or less the only option to get considerably more light for older bikes with poor charging systems, but these new led headlights are becoming quite affordable (cheap ebay ones are probably crap, but near the price of a quality halogen bulb).
If it comes anywhere near the light output of a halogen light, they should already be much better than the stock sealed beams or incandescent bulbs, and they seem like a great solution for the old charging systems that were not really that great even when new. Replacing most other bulbs (f.e. control lights, the bulbs in the gauges, the rear light bulb, turn signals...) with LED ones has been common for quite some time now, and it does keep the battery charged at all times. Some people like to mount additional small lights (usually on the crash bars) to make the bike more visible, and to see better at night. That is probably not possible with a halogen or stock incandescent bulb, but I doubt it'd be a problem if you have all the bulbs LED.

Has anyone tried them on these bikes yet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an LED bulb in the rear of my XR400, it's not quite as bright but seemingly very robust, as the regular bulbs were gone after every ride.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Haven't tried them yet, but I am going to this spring. There's an option to have an led conversion with the kit. $140 for a new cb360 style bucket, lens and h4 LED conversion, not bad imo, Im going to try it. Food for thought:

Honda CB350 / CB360 Headlight Bucket & H4 Bulb Kit | Common Motor Collective

If you want just the LED bulb conversion but want to try to reuse your stock bucket and lens,
Honda LED H4 Headlight Bulb CB350 / CB360 / CB450 / CB500T / CB550 | Common Motor Collective

There's also a good thread on this:

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/50...ed-headlight-plug-play-am-i-being-dumb-7.html

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
All the lights on my 500T are LED. Been working great for over a year now.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The common motor kit is good for an all in one, but you can easily do the headlight on a 360 for $65-$70 with these (runs beautifully on mine):

Emgo Honda Style 6 1/4in. Headlight Assembly - Chrome 66-64312 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AKG6Y54/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_rvAnsDrrpH3En

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-NEW-H4-...amp-12V-24V-/252268305995?hash=item3abc5cde4b

It pretty much breaks even at idle now, which is awesome. Putting a Sparck R/R into my rebuild, and I think that’ll put me over into charging. I’m also running LED blinkers, brake light, gauge lights, and instruments from SuperBrightLED. I highly recommend them, at least for the always on lights (headlight, taillight) and the gauges (it makes the much more visible).

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$140 for a new cb360 style bucket, lens and h4 LED conversion, not bad imo, Im going to try it.
Perhaps it is hard to find them in the US, but European (and probably elsewhere) Honda models never had sealed beams. The older ones (such as my german CB450) had the standard fitting for incandescent bulbs (forgot how they are called, perhaps BA20D), while they changed to H4 around the 80's. My (Californian) CB360 had the sealed beam (never seen anything like it before, here in Europe), but I was able to find a replacement original Stanley H4 lens, that fit right into the stock rim and bucket. It was probably from some 80's model (f.e. CM400), but it fits right in, and still looks stock.

·
Registered
208 Posts
In search of bettere lighting with less current draw than halogens due to the small generative capacity of the lighting coils on my 160, I found an LED headlight unit on Amazon that would work, drawing only 10 watts of power. It's a 7 inch unit held in place in my Viper fairing with a custom mounting arrangement. The unit itself is is listed for use with a Jeep or H-D motorcycle. The electrical connection is by an auto industry standard 3 prong plug (plus a separate wire in the harness if you want to use the DRL function). The high and low beam are very bright, with prismatic magnification. The DRL function is a pair of white half circles that go out when the low/high beams are powered up. I don't ride at night anymore, but test rides proved to be so much better with the LED lighting.

Following that conversion, I added an LED bulb replacement for the 1157 tail/brake light--much brighter. Finally, lacking turnsignals from the factory, I added LED turn signals (you will need an LED flasher--I used one with a variable flash rate).

So far, everything has been working as intended.

P1000273.jpg P1000272.jpg P1000271.jpg

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am going to convert my 82 Nighhawk to LED, I may add 2" auxiliary lights too, Superbrightled has all sorts of options.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I have LEDs in my tail light and indicators, idiot lights and instrument back lights.

Built my own rear LED panel from parts taken from a pair of cheap LED front running lights, one panel for running light, both panels via a diode for brake light.

I'm not sure that an LED headlamp bulb would give the correct beam pattern to pass a UK MOT test, so I have retained the stock bulb there.

I don't run on headlamp in normal daytime, only if I get caught out in poor visibility, heavy rain, fog etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts