Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! Long time viewer, but first post.

Rebuilt a 1979 CB400T with new LED flashers with electronic relay. Everything works as it should be, but my LED amber annunciator dash light is dim went turning the flashers on. All other LED annunciator lighst, red, blue and green, are bright. Looking for inputs before I dig into it.

Could it be I reverse the wires at the LED amber light? Or need a diode?

Thx a lot

·
Registered
641 Posts
Before you do anything just check the LED is fitted into the tube on the annunciator, and that it hasn't fallen out which would look like a dim light. DAHMIK!
Nigel.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
So, you have LED in all four signals, and also a LED as the indicator? The indicator gets its virtual ground from the signals that are not on; since those are now LED, the current they draw through the indicator is reduced, resulting in the dim indicator. I put two filament bulbs back into the rear signals on my CB450, as it was the easiest, non-mod solution. Other ways require mods to the wiring. For example, you could solder resistors across the back of the signal bulb sockets, one on each side. Or, you could add two diodes connected in a Y, with the anodes to each signal side and cathodes one end of the indicator, and add a ground to the other end of the indicator.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you mean a resistor on the wires on the right side signal and another resistor on the left side signal wires, regardless of front or back? The build is fine, plugged it directly to a battery and bright.

I don't mind the dim light, but it won't pass safety inspection though.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I mean connect two resistors, one on each side, between the signal wires and ground. I can't tell you what size resistor would work without knowing the specs of the indicator bulb, but would start with about 510 Ohms and test.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
OK, rated current is 15mA, so you would need a lot less than 510 Ohms. A 68 Ohm resistor would drop about 1V at that current, which should make it pretty bright, without drawing significantly more power. Of course, you still need somewhere to install the resistors and hook them up. Also, when the signals on that side are lit, the resistor would dissipate about 3-1/4W, so you need to make sure you have one that can handle that kind of power. Or, you could go the diode route, which doesn't increase power draw; this doc explains how: https://www.customdynamics.com/medi.../MDK_Tech_sheet_printer_friendly_version_.pdf

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome thx! Easy to do since my wires to the LED annunciator light are already spliced and can connect the 2 red from diode to them and the white and ground to the light. I'll let you know.

Thx again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.