Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 1980 Honda CM200t Twinstar. Its a 6VDC system, which makes installing LEDs tough. I just finally got the L/R flashers to work with with 6V LED lights, an electronic flasher from the UK, and a Metric Bike Diode Kit. Now I am moving on the the brake light. Thought that would be easier... But I'm stumped. I have a 6V 1157 LED light installed (S25 24 LED Light 6VDC - Automotive LED Lights - LEDLight). The brake light lights up well when the key is turned to "P" for parking light. But when I turn the key to the start position, or when the bike is running, the light does not go on at all, brake applied or not. I looked at an electrical diagram for the bike:

CM200t Electric.JPG

Not sure what I would need to modify to get this to work properly. Any thoughts?

·
Sensei
27,170 Posts
Well, the "Brake" LED should NOT be energized when in "PARK"...The "taillight/running light" one should...
You have the wires backwards/transposed.....swap them.....

Reactions: oupa

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry for the late reply, lost track of this post. Yes the original bulb works properly on break and running lamp. Just the LED that does not work, unless the ignition is in park, then it lights up. I've been riding it with the incandescent bulb, but have not figured out why the LED bulb is behaving differently.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello 66Sprint, sorry, maybe using the wrong terms. The break light wiring is unaltered from stock and it works fine with the incandescent bulb. Let me know if you do have any other thoughts.

·
Sensei
27,170 Posts
What LED bulb are you using?...IF it's the one in the link, THAT is a "single filament" equivalent bulb (one center contact)
You require a dual filament equivalent bulb.....

·
Registered
293 Posts
These will not work for our bikes! I tried, and failed. The power supplied by the engine's generator/alternator is NOT steady enough to satisfy the LED bulb's internal voltage regulator. I think that's the problem... Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this theory.

Oh yeah, I remember a little more now, the LED bulb would work but only when the head lamp was turned off. So I could only test it with the brake on, not the running light. I don't think I had the engine running either now that I think about it...

Either way I had to send mine back to superbrightleds.com. I ended up using a new car light bulb, it was much brighter than what I had originally. But was still not nearly as bright as the LEDs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was under the impression that LEDs drew much less wattage. Steve advised me on testing the alternator and that was punching out quite a bit of voltage.

·
Sensei
27,170 Posts
The incandescent 1157 bulb works on both filaments, the ground seems good, (and of proper polarity for the LED as the brake LED functions).... SO, the LED "taillight" half should also work properly as the taillight .....
Now my question is does the LED taillight "bulb" half work directly powered by the battery ? ....Be aware that a single "wrong polarity" connection, no matter how brief will damage the LED, and a "through" connection (improper ground through the other LED " filament equivalent" half) could burn out the "ground-side" half......

IF, you had the brakelight "side" of the LED powered and an even momentary bad or missing ground, the taillight "side" of the LED is likely toast..... I suspect that THIS is what occurred.....Maybe vice-versa as to bulb "sides"... But now, HOW did it happen?.....

Check that the brown/white stripe wire is connected and powered when the lights are on..... (read it at the ignition switch connection plug)..... As strange as it seems, with the lights off, but ignition key in the normal "run" position, the Brown taillight wire becomes a ground (through the meter illumination lamps filament) for the brakelight IF the brake/tail light ground is bad or incomplete.... This is counter polarity for the LED taillight half and could be the culprit....

Either way, the symptoms indicate a bad ground at/for the tail/brake light.......And, the headlight/taillight MUST be "always on" so the Brown wire is receiving battery positive (as it does in Park) when the brakelight is used or this could re-occur IF LED's are installed.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts