Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick intro to set the stage. I'm a 40 something guy from near DC who's been riding on and off for over 20 years. I've done light maintenance on bikes, up to and including fork maintenance and what I'll term a stage 1 carb rebuild (pull carbs, clean jets/bowls, replace rubber. No full disassembly.) Got an itch to try my hand at working on an old Honda, so after doing a bunch of reading here and elsewhere, I found a few candidates in my area. Still looking for a 'real' one, but in the mean time I got side tracked by a ridiculously low-priced CB350 and picked it up today.

Per the VIN it's K5 in what appears to be Tyrolean Green Rustydented; how much of the bike is /actually/ a K5 (or just another CB350. Or some Honda. Or from a motorcycle at all.) is TBD. I can't imagine it to be the bike any sane person would have chosen as a first bike for a restoration project, but that's not why I chose it and it has a few things going for it:

1. It does a barely adequate job of acting as a source of spares.
2. It's conceivable it *could* be restored, by which I mean "it hasn't been sitting at the bottom of the ocean for the past 6 years". As I've currently no experience restoring bikes, I'm utterly unqualified to have an opinion in the matter. =)
3. It gives me something to tinker with and learn a bit about whilst I continue the the search for the actual project, and
4. It was cheap. I mean, it was really cheap. One hundred dollars cheap.

The PO discovered he'd purchased it when he cracked open the storage locker he won at auction; he's had it for a month but as he's not a bike guy, he knew less than I did after walking around it for 5 minutes. Among other thing, this means no title/reg and no key. It was apparently in storage for several years, and he's had it under a tarp for the past month.

Behold, a rubbish photo as it's all I have on hand at the moment (and it gives me a chance to see if my attach-an-image-to-the-post skills are up to the task):

cb350_side_01.jpg

It is, if anything, even worse that it looks. The forks are frozen and while the engine does turn over, it is rumored to have no compression. The seat is actually worse in person than the pictures would lead one to believe (right?), every light/indicator save one is either broken or missing, there's no key, I can't honestly even guess as to what's going on with the handlebars, and oh yeah: that headlight. And so on.

I'm hoping to have the 'real' project bike in a week or so; we'll have to see how that plays out... and how fast I can make some more space in my garage. In the mean time, I'm going to get key cut from the code since that seems like the path of least resistance to getting the seat off. I'll try my local shop first; failing that, there's apparently an guy on some auction site who cuts keys from codes.

My plan at the moment in more or less this order (advice welcome):

* Start removing subassemblies (front end, rear wheel, rear swingarm, tank, seat, etc)
* Disassemble each to learn my way around. Take many, many pictures and bag+label everything which isn't obvious.
* Compare what's present to the CB350 parts list and catalog anything that's missing/broken/unusable. Possibly repair/replace, depending on the investment needed.
* Pull the carbs and engine, disassemble, and see what's what
* Figure out if I'm going to put any more money into this one =)

I wouldn't /mind/ getting this one on the road again, but it's not the primary goal.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Don't know what acquiring a title amounts to in your neighborhood, but that may be the deciding factor.

Congratulations on the acquisition.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Cool, good luck with that. Pictures, and lots, are a must.

I'm gonna follow along, so in case I can pickup on any info, and maybe input some.

I'm sorta learning my way around a CB350 engine, that I'm planning to rebuild and install in a SL350 frame.

The frame of course needs work too. Front forks, head bearings, and swing arm.....not to mention missing the battery try and such.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A gentle reminder that I have next to no idea what I'm doing. =)

Step 1: Rear wheel assembly. Because I need to start somewhere.

Got the rear wheel off, which turned out to be a hammeriffic process. Everything I've read about removing rear wheels in general says "if you need to force it, you're doing it wrong". This has held true for every bike I've owned until this one. If I did this wrong, let me know:

* removed chain guard
* unbolted lower shock mounts from swingarm
* swore mightily as I discovered at this point I needed to remove the rear footpegs so that the swingarm would complete its journey downwards (it was fouling on the nuts through which the bolt securing the footpeg passes)
* removed the rear footpegs (some more swearing)
* with the rear wheel now on the ground, I could turn the axle but it wasn't coming out. Several minutes with a hammer on the threaded end, followed by an overnight soak in some WD40, followed by more hammering this morning finally freed it. At which point I discovered I'd also been removing the brake-side bearing; part 20 in this diagram:

honda-cb350g-super-sport-1973-usa-rear-wheel_bighu0059f5017_328a.jpg

The bearing didn't come all the way out; the axle did in fact slide out by itself. The bearing did just require the lightest of taps to come out the rest of the way, tho. I was going to remove it anyway, so no worries. Was a bit of a surprise, tho.

I do know enough to know that even if I wasn't going to replace it regardless, the bearing is of no further use. Anything I coulda/shoulda done differently so I know for next time?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know what acquiring a title amounts to in your neighborhood, but that may be the deciding factor.

Congratulations on the acquisition.
Thanks. I'm enjoying it so far. We'll see how that goes. =)

Titling is of secondary interest, however as this bike was auctioned off to the PO from an in-default self-storage locker, there may be a reasonably easy path to a title. That's currently just a guess based on my reading of what I believe to be the relevant statute, but IAdefinitelyNAL; I'll be getting in contact with people who can hopefully clarify and will update this thread when I know more.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
As far as removing the rear wheel... With the bike on the center stand, remove the master link on the chain to separate the ends. Disconnect the brake arm and linkage from the rear hub. Loosen bolts associated with the rear axle, crib under the rear wheel slightly to support. Remove the axle nut and use a long dowel or punch to remove the axle shaft. Wheel should fall out of the swing arm easily when you remove your cribbing. No need to remove the chainguard, passenger pegs, or disconnect shocks.

edit: If replacing the bearings don’t forget to remove the distance collar (#9 in the cmsnl diagram) from the old bearing. I’ve heard of this getting tossed in the trash with the old bearing only to realize the mistake later when it’s too late.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
866 Posts
I would first look at that title and then see if you could get it insured. Then figure out how much you want to spend, lot of money goes into parts and seals etc to get these back up and running.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As promised, some photos. The only things I've really done at this point is drop the swingarm and remove the wheel. Everything else you see is as I picked it up.

Wide shot: IMG_3607.jpg

And some closer-ups, across the next few posts:

IMG_3588.jpg
IMG_3589.jpg
IMG_3590.jpg
IMG_3591.jpg

And I don't EVEN know what's going on here:
IMG_3592.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Part 2:

Oh, that headlight.
IMG_3593.jpg

Gas cap is present, but doesn't seem to latch closed.
IMG_3594.jpg

Some other views:
IMG_3595.jpg
IMG_3596.jpg

The outside of the engine doesn't look hideous to my untrained eye. No broken fins, it seems to be more or less all there, and spark plugs are present; the engine does move when the kick level is used, but that's all that can be said for its operation at this point.
IMG_3595.jpg

Not sure how well this conveys the state of the brake pedal; as-delivered, the pedal assembly isn't actually bolted to the bike.
IMG_3596.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Part 3:

The rear end; it is, to quote a friend's teenager, "sketch".
IMG_3599.jpg
IMG_3600.jpg

The single intact lens on the bike:
IMG_3601.jpg

Exhaust headers...
IMG_3603.jpg

The rear wheel, with the hub after one round of cleaning:
IMG_3602.jpg

And the obligatory shot of the interior of the tank which, from here at least, doesn't seem to be too bad:
IMG_3608.jpg

Hope this gives y'all an idea of what the initial state of the bike is; happy to answer questions, take additional pics, etc. The lighting in my garage is admittedly rubbish, so if there's something you'd like another angle on or some such, just let me know.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, what a mess... looks like the bike got dropped on both sides and had the corresponding effect on the bars, which were horrible even when straight
Yeah, you'd think; here's what kills me, tho: at the weld where the handgrip meets the crossbar on the /right/ side, the weld is broken, it's rusty, you can see inside the tube etc. On the /left/ side, it looks suspiciously similar, minus any obvious damage. I'll know more once I get the controls off the bars and can see the bars properly.

Second set of pics didn't go through
I'll revisit and edit shortly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Oh, and in related news, I found this little gem in the rear hub:

I'm not sure that's ok...
IMG_3584.jpg

No, I'm pretty sure that's wrong.
IMG_3585.jpg

edit: oh, for heavens sake. Does the forum software not know how to deal with photos taken in a portrait orientation? It shows up fine for me on my phone / on my computer, but it's rotated in the forum

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
I’m not seeing all the photos. I think the bars got that way when someone was trying to ride the bike through a REALLY narrow doorway

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
755 Posts
Part 3:

And the obligatory shot of the interior of the tank which, from here at least, doesn't seem to be too bad:
View attachment 272128

Not to be overly discouraging, but uh, the inside of the tank seems to be the brightest spot of the whole walk around - literally! Too bad the outside is beat up so bad. :-? At worst, you have a lot of usable parts. AT best, resto all comes down to what you're willing to spend. These bikes for various reasons still suffer from the "cheap bike" image while comparable vintage Triumphs, Nortons and BSA's are revered as valuable vintage motorcycles. Antiques and history in general, is all relevant. Relevant to the opinion of he who admires it - or doesn't. I've seen complete restos of antique Harleys, Indians, and Brits that started with a lot less than you have!

Can't tell much about the (outside) tank conditions other than it's dented up and the paint is shot. I've gotten some really nasty dents out I thought I never would. I've also used "hair" bondo to smooth those I couldn't pop on a tank that was being painted anyway. Hope that other bike comes through, in the meantime, get acquainted with this one. I suck at my own advice, but stop and make notes and take photos OFTEN! Even the most obvious part should be noted in what order nuts, washers, spacers, etc. come off. Don't ask how I know this. ;-)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not too worried; as I mentioned at the outset, the goal for this bike is for me to learn how to work on one. I have no immediate intention to make this one look pretty, beyond replacing all the wrong/utterly broken parts with the correct parts; used/mildly beat up where possible/safe, new where necessary for function. Had the engine had been locked up, I probably would have walked away, but as it stands it seems like a good platform to learn on. If I get this one running and/or titled, that's just gravy. If at the end of this I've spent a few hundred bucks on parts but I'm comfortable working on the bike and feel confident to tackle a more complete resto on another bike which I *would* be riding, then that's a win as far as I'm concerned. At worst, as you say, I'll have a source of some spares.

This is where you point and laugh at the idea that it'll be "a few hundred bucks". ;)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts