Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a little time to work on my 450k5..
[attachment=4:q5das0x1]SNC00150.jpg[/attachment:q5das0x1]

New clutch went in fine, Old springs were at the bottom of the weal limit, but the basket was nice. Clutch action is noticeably heavier, but smooth.

New Capellini Moto oil filter modification (w ext oil line) started off great, directions lost a little something in translation. the two toughest parts were cutting the original oil rotor down to 23mm and you had to plug one oil gallery in the right side case and drill a different one, (see Photo) all in all it went really smooth and the fit and finish of the parts are really nice (the exhaust collars from him are really neat too)
[attachment=3:q5das0x1]SNC00151.jpg[/attachment:q5das0x1][attachment=2:q5das0x1]SNC00152.jpg[/attachment:q5das0x1][attachment=1:q5das0x1]SNC00153.jpg[/attachment:q5das0x1][attachment=0:q5das0x1]SNC00155.jpg[/attachment:q5das0x1]

The forks did not go well. Came apart fine, no problems but aparantly the gold valve emulators are either not for this model as the website indicates or the directions are too vague for my feeble mind. I'll have to wait for monday to talk to racetech product support

the all balls steering head bearings went in with minimal heat hammers and cursing, I was amazed how bad my old ones were, they had a very lumpy feel after I pulled the forks off I needed the thinner of the two washers. Very vague directions concerning the dust seals

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here are the supporting pics for the fork guts

according to the paper work the emulators go on top of the damper rod tube, unfortunately the rod that holds the whole mess together sees to be there abd as best as I can tell it is very important... Like the springs would force the whole mess apart with out them :eek:

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
You are correct that the emulators will NOT work in those particular forks..........

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured as much, not sure why they would list them as working.. are they for the older style fork with the external spring?
they are fegv s3001 emulators. if i get an anoying return process/ restocking fee i'll happily unload them on you GB.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so the new plan is to source a set of used cb750 forks, lowers look almost identical and racetech lists the parts as the same.. anyone know if the axle size is the same?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks Steve, any chance the forks are the same length or close?

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Early 750 forks are a bit longer (memory is fuzzy, but I think it's about 1.5" or 1.75"), AND, the caliper mounts on the sliders may be "higher" on the sliders as some 750's ran larger diameter rotors.....(dependant on year/model)....
You may be better off finding complete 450, 500T or sohc 650/4 forks and using them.....
I tend to run drum brakes on my modified bike which eliminates the "matching" problems when using the "wrong" forks/rotors/wheels of disc units....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool, I have a drum front on it now, so no issue there.. as best as I could tell all 450k5+ and 500t forks are like mine, with the captive spring and full length rod am I missing something?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts