Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like i have some bad leaking with my carbs on my cb350.
I am very new to mechanics and bikes in general.

Can anyone provide some help to how i can go about fixing this on my own. Half the reason I got the bike was to have something to learn mechanics on.

Below is a video of whats happening. Is this a leaking carb or just overflow from allowing to much fuel in with that manual fuel valve (I dont know the proper name haha)

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Looks to be either float level is too high or you have a cracked overflow tube.
Either way, since you're new here you should check your Conversations and take a look at the link below

·
Registered
346 Posts
Was the carb next to it leaking the same way? If so, someone might've rebuilt them and set all the floats too high.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was the carb next to it leaking the same way? If so, someone might've rebuilt them and set all the floats too high.
Yes, it was leaking, but not to same degree, and the other carbs seem to leak VERY little or not at all as you go down the line.

How would I go about trouble shooting or approaching this? (I have seen some videos on how to adjust the float, but I want to take it slow haha) Can I still ride it for the time being with out causing any additional damage?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I mean, technically you can still ride it. But would you want to with gas being vaporized underneath you? Only way I know to do it is take off the carbs and adjust them. Either way you're going to have to take them off and check for cracks, etc. If all of them are leaking, I bet someone adjusted the floats wrong which is an easier fix than soldering the cracked tubes. Can't hurt to remove, clean, and reassemble anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay understood. I dont intend to ride it much yet for the record ( I dont even have my licences yet, and I still need mirror and to fix the horn xD ). I wanted to know the level of severity I suppose, but no i def dont want gas leaking while i ride it.

Well, i guess i have my first go at something then. Any references, tips, or videos you suggest would be great. ( i have found a few myself)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm no expert on the fours and this is really a twins forum, but the carbs are essentially the same. There are few stickies you can use as reference for measurements and stuff, but an expert on Fours will need to come along as I think they're a bit more complicated to remove and sync than the twins. Basic process it to take them off, take the bowl off the bottom, tilt them until the little tab of the float is just barely touching the valve, and measure. Bend the tab with a punch to get them set just right. You'll probably want to get a new set of o-rings for the bowls. Make sure to get ones that don't swell when fuel touches them then you can easily reuse them over and over. Also want make sure your floats are not cracked and holding fuel inside them too.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Good catch ruckus, I've been multitasking this morning/afternoon and didn't catch the multiple carbs in a row. Principle is the same, complexity level just rose though... and yeah, a 4 cylinder site would be of more help - this is Honda Twins, after all

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah i just made that connection on the Twin. Forgot to mention I have a CB350 four :p. Ill stick around here anyway since, im sure a lot of stuff on here will still be useful to me

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@doctorruckus and @ancientdad

I had to return this bike to seller since the title ended up being no good. Luckily I got my money back and I returned it BEFORE messing with the carbs haha. Here is a link to my new bike. I am much happier with this purchase, and the title is all good and in my name :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts