Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 Cm400t that has a leaking seal behind the stator and I was wandering can I just split the block or do I need to do a complete rebuild to replace this seal

·
Registered
633 Posts
The bodge is to screw two drywall screws into the seal at 180 degrees then lever out the seal. It’s hard work and if the seal has a flange it’s almost impossible to put the new seal back in without splitting the cases.
You can turn the crankcases upside down; if it’s out of the frame; and then split the bottom case apart without disturbing the top end.. but: it’s your call how far you want to go.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Crankshaft has to be lifted to fit the seal over it and also get the lip into the case groove. So that means camshaft removal so the timing chain is free. Pretty much a teardown of the engine.
You can try the cheat method but chances of success are slim. Requires cutting the lip off the new seal and carefully driving it in only as far as the old seal was while keeping it straight in the bore. Zero guarantees this will work and if you try it be sure to buy 3 or more seals because you'll ruin 2 at least.
This is what you're up against
201_4418.JPG 201_4419-001.JPG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts