1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on the underlying problem here? (See pictures below)-->

[attachment=1:3tspfwwy]IMG_6809.JPG[/attachment:3tspfwwy]

[attachment=0:3tspfwwy]IMG_6810.JPG[/attachment:3tspfwwy]

When I ride for about 20 miles or more I get some oil running out - not sure if I need a new gasket or to replace bolts or whatever. Is this a serious issue? Thanks for any insight.

--Brendan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
You'll need to find out exactly where its leaking from. Based on the pictures, it could be just the right side cover (probably just need a new gasket) or it could be the cylinder base gasket or something above this.

Can you tell where exactly its coming from? If not, clean the area good and then next time you run it you see where its weeping from.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It definitely appears to be the base gasket, which would require taking the entire top end apart to replace the gasket.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
45 Posts
man that thing is dirty! it looks worse than my bike when i got it and it had sat outside for almost 15 years! Looks like the base gasket like the guy above me said, which is gonna be lots of fun to replace! I see some stripped bolts already on it, sheesh replace those philups head bolts with allen key bolts, it will save you from having to use heat each time you need to remove them! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Sorry to say it Brendan but I think they are right. You got a base gasket leak.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It COULD be a simple sidecover leak as well and the air is blowing it up to underneath the cylinder.. It IS possible..

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Especially considering that most of the sidecover bolts are new, (that cover has been off recently) and in that area is a/the main (pumped) oil passage... a tiny nick in the sealing surface or bit of "old gasket' could cause that.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input! I have rechecked and it seems like it might be just the side cover gasket leaking. There's nothing coming down from above, but it does leak out the side cover rather near where base/side come together. I have had real trouble getting some of the bolts out -- looks like I'll be doing some PB blasting and creative work... the rusty bolts have never been out (by me) and wouldn't come out even w/ an impact driver.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Be sure to "pre-load" the impact driver by pushing it against the bolt firmly and turning it slightly to take the "slack" or "slop" out of the driver. Then hit it HARD.

A little added heat also helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts