Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1985 Honda CB450SC. It comes with a rear mag wheel, not a comstar. I have attached a pic I found on the net that shows what the wheel looks like. Just wondering if any other bikes or years had the same style wheel in a larger size- say an 18" that will bolt right on.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
longdistancerider said:
1982 CB450T uses an 18" rear as well as the CB400T2's. You will have Comstar wheel and be limited to the 130/90/16 tire since they came with 120's.

I figured I would have to go with comstars. Should those that you mention bolt right in without any additional spacers?
So as far as you know, honda doesn't have an 18" version of the wheel I posted in first pic above?

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
I believe it'll be a direct replacement. Need to check if you have the 520 chain or the 530 chain. Later 450's went with the thinner 520. 530 is a bit of overkill but I prefer them. The CB450T uses the 530. You will most likely need to make/add a spacer to the front sprocket for chain alignment. A 1" ID washer with 2 holes for the lock bolts and longer bolts should do you. The difference is 4.2mm and the 2 washers I've measured are 4mm which is close enough.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
longdistancerider said:
I believe it'll be a direct replacement. Need to check if you have the 520 chain or the 530 chain. Later 450's went with the thinner 520. 530 is a bit of overkill but I prefer them. The CB450T uses the 530. You will most likely need to make/add a spacer to the front sprocket for chain alignment. A 1" ID washer with 2 holes for the lock bolts and longer bolts should do you. The difference is 4.2mm and the 2 washers I've measured are 4mm which is close enough.
Thanks for info. One correction, mine is a 1986 cb450sc, not an 85. Don't think that will change your advice though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
longdistancerider said:
Not sure but I think there could be a front rotor issue. Completely different rotors so swapping isn't possible. Wish I had more info on that

I wonder how it would look pairing an 18" rear comstar from an 1982 cb450t with the stock 1986 cb450sc front mag as shown in pic? At least they are both five spoked.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
longdistancerider said:
The opposite of this :lol:[attachment=0:1yrzk79n]cm400_drixton_down.jpg[/attachment:1yrzk79n] No, that isn't my tank, yet. Will be
Sweet. Can't really even tell they are mismatched wheels.
What tank is that?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone know if the rear wheel from a 1978 cb400 hawk or hondamatic will bolt right up to my 1986 honda cb450sc?
I know a 1982 was mentioned above but was able to find a couple 1978 cb400 rear wheels and was hoping tha would fit.

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
Yes, they will fit. I believe it's a straight bolt in but you'll need to check the spacer bushings to verify. Also the front sprocket will need to be spaced in @4mm for proper chain alignment. Be sure to get the complete wheel assembly since the 400 and 450 hub parts are different, including the sprocket

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks
This bike is quickly becoming a hodgepodge - cx500 front end because the forks were bent, cb400 rear wheel to match front cx500 wheel, and cb350 tank

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
Oh a 'frankenbike'? :lol:
Like a 79 CM400T with a CB900F front end, Ducati Monster headlight and fairing, CB750 rear shocks, engine using 400 and 450 parts, GM parts, BMW parts. Never heard of it but it sure does work well. :lol:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update and some more advice that I am asking.
I ordered a 1978 , 18" cb400t wheel for my 1986 cb450sc.
I did not get the axle, drum brake or spacers yet because I wanted to see what I was dealing with first. After mocking it up using the cb400t wheel and the cb450sc spacers, its clear that I need the different spacers from the cb400t.

My question is, how do I go about making sure everything is spaced out correctly? To my naked eye, it appears like the cb450sc brake will slide into the cb400t drum, but how can I check for sure? Also, how do I make sure the cb400t spacers and axle will be the correct spacing for the cb450sc swingarm?

So to word it another way- is the 1978 cb400t swingarm and the 1986 cb450sc swingarm basically the same spacing? And is the rear brake for the 1978 cb400t and the 1986 cb450sc basically the same?

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
The swing arms for both are exactly the same width. I think the right spacer will be the same. Unsure of the left one. The tire should fit exactly in the middle, this isn't an offset swingarm.
The sprocket alignment between the 2 rims is different, the 450 is spaced out more than the T. Easy fix is to make a spacer out of a 1" washer that you'll install in between the front sprocket and the retainer plate. Just have to drill 2 holes in it for the bolts and use longer bolts. The measurement I have for the difference is 4.2mm, the washer I had is 4mm which worked fine.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great
Thanks for help.
I will order the cb400 spacers and use them, along with doing the washer trick on front sprocket.
Any advice on whether the brakes are the same size?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts