Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This is really more of a riding question and a call out to any riders in the area. I want to do a ride from Indianapolis to Lake Michigan near the Dunes State Park, possibly camp over night and ride back. I've ridden about 50 - 100 miles on my current CM450 Honda and because it's a cafe racer style, it tends to not be comfortable for longer rides. Does anyone have any advise on adding a cushion to the seat or something that would make this ride a little easier on the old bum? I would hate to ride to the beach and have a sore butt ruin it. Would love to end the riding season with a bang!

lake Michigan ride.jpg

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
You'll be driving almost right past me.
The interstate would be a rugged drive - higher speed, lots of semis and other traffic. the stretch between Lafayette and Gary is the worst.
Hiway 30 is a pain in the butt - lots of traffic, lots of cops.
421 is an easier drive, but it's 2 lanes and does go through a lot of towns - it does go directly to Michigan City though. That's my usual route south.
Watch out for Lake Michigan - it's cold and has vicious rip tides on the south end of the lake. Multiple drownings already this year.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The seat in question is a sandy leather cover over closed cell foam. I cut up the factory seat and remade this one. The foam was from a website that used it for kayaks seat production. It's a little stiff but seems good and firm. The way I made the seat just did not leave a lot of room for a thick cushion. It's 7/8" thick foam under the cover. It's pretty comfortable around town on small trips but a 30 - 40 mins of riding and I start to feel it . Could just take a lot of breaks along the way. Also thought of throwing a soft pillow or something underneath to make the ride easier. Not sure, probably need to test out a few ideas.

Yeah Bill, I'll probably ride around Laporte. I've drove this route many times in a 4 wheel vehicle. This will be my first motorcycle ride to Lake Michigan though. My birthday is coming up and it seems like a good idea. Thinking about doing it labor day weekend. Perhaps saturday or sunday. Was kind of hoping to strap a sleeping bag to the bike and just camp out over night like a rebel without a cause.

bike.jpg

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hello. Just thought I would weigh in.
I usually take Lakeshore Drive/US41 to US20 into Gary, IN and US12 from Gary to Michigan City.

US12 has less traffic and is about ~45-50mph speeds. It is a lot more scenic towards Michigan City.

Camping:
The Dunes State Park Campground requires a reservation (probably full, worth calling).
Just a few miles north from the State park Campground is Dunewood Campground. No reservations. First Come First served. I have always had luck getting a campsite here, but I was always there by 10am on a Thursday or Friday to claim a spot.

There is a gas station directly across fom Dune Wood.

If you get a chance to wander north of michigan city, I'd recommend checking out New Buffalo in Michigan. There's a few decent Micro Breweries and food options.

Sigh...Makes me wish my bike was not leaking oil right now...
Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 8.47.05 PM.jpg

As for the saddle, you can buy one of those gel cushions for motorcycles.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello JP, Good to hear from another rider in the area!

I've taken Lakeshore drive before thru Gary to Michigan City. It's a nice ride. Perhaps I'll get to explore it more than I have in the past and find something new. I have already checked the Dunes Campgrounds and they are full. I'm kind of thinking sleeping bag on the beach though. No tent, but we'll see what the weathers says. Good to know about Dunewood, it might come in handy.

I hope to do a longer Lake Michigan ride probably next year. Would like to go all the way up to Sleepy Bear but we'll see. Took the family up to Ludington and it's pretty nice.

I did see they sell seat pads for motorcycles. That seems like what I need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts