Honda Twins banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new on here but have been getting endless help just by reading old forums, I'm working on my 73 cl350 and it's been going good I'm got electric timing,new wheel bearings, spokes, brakes, cables ect. Here the only thinng that has stumped me. I got a brand new wire harness- plug n play basically. As well as new controls on handlebars. I got everything damn thing working but the kill swithch here is the issue. I have a black wire coming from right hand control for kill switch power/ and the black and white striped that goes to coils. The problem is I can start my bike even when it's in off position. Same when on. And when I test power to black and white to coils it acts like it's should work giving me 12.4v when switch is on and seems to go down when in off position. Any ideas or suggestions please and thanks.!?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
The Power to the Coils is SUPPOSED to be routed thru the Kill Switch.

Moving it from ON to OFF simply OPENS the CIRCUIT.

Some After Market Controls may work differently.

Check the switch with an Ohm Meter by itself to see if it is normally Open or Closed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How exactly should o check that? When the black power wire is hooked up and I put kill switch in on position the coil wire (black with white stripe) gets power 12.4 v when I turn it off it drops and jumps around 0v. Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
How exactly should o check that? When the black power wire is hooked up and I put kill switch in on position the coil wire (black with white stripe) gets power 12.4 v when I turn it off it drops and jumps around 0v. Thanks
When you say you can start your bike do you mean the engine actually fires up or they the starter motor turns? Because if you have zero power going to your coils the bike should not start. Unless the PO was Harry Potter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You bring up a very good point. As of now my carbs exhaust and and tank are not hooked up so I'm not sure if it will actually turn over but it cranks like it would. I was under the impression that when the control is in off position it wouldn't shouldn't even turn over at all? Maybe it's in working order and I need to be hooked up to properly test.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's been a bit of a project as I'm doing it all myself, learning **** tons but still need a helping hand here and there. Just need to put carbs and tank back on(easy) then do my cam chain tension/ valves clearance and timing, exhaust and chain.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Starter will rotate but you will not get spark when kill switch is off. Kill switch is to kill spark to engine only.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You can sort of test if the kill switch is working by putting the plug in the boot and holding it up to the engine case. Hit the start button -- with the kill switch off, there should be no spark. Kill switch on, you should have spark. From there you're off to the races. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just what I was thinking for testing spark. I will give it a try after work thanks!!! It is awesome there is place to to talk to fellow vintage honda owners!!!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
You have seroiusly put the proverbal CART before the HORSE.

If you can't actually start the motor beacuse your build is incomplete, there is no way of telling if the Kill Switch works or not EXCEPT by doing an Ohm Meter Test on it.

All it does is Kill power to the COILS.

It has ZERO Impact on anytihgn else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I came home and tested the spark with the switch on and off and it worked as you guys mentioned above, on-gives spark off- does not so it was fine the whole time I was just worried because the starter still working. Thanks alot you guys/yendor, stockton and jd! Time to roll a bone and move on. Here are some pics of the project if they show up IMG_20180617_131027_1530831199418.jpg IMG_20180617_131027_1530831199418.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Admittedly, the kill switch not stopping the starter is counter intuitive for a newbie, at least to me. Twice :( I’m ashamed to say, I tried to crank and kick start my bike until the battery died when it was killed at the handlebars.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Your pic's came thru just fine.

Nice looking bike there.

Just keep plugging away and you'll be riding soon.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I can understand the OP questioning it, my BMW wouldn't crank with kill switch off also my wife’s scooter and a cheap Chinese scooter I repaired a couple of months ago also wouldn't crank with it off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I thought I would ask a quick question. I first noticed a potential kill switch problem by pulling a plug, grounding it and checking for spark (kill switch on), no spark! Plugs are ok, almost new.
I futzed around a bit, checking that I had the ignition on (yes), flipped the kill switch off and on and voila! Not only did I get spark but it started on one cylinder! I quickly shut it off, put the plug back in and it started and idled fine.
My question is I would like to confirm that the kill switch has been the cause of my no-start condition and was hoping I could use my multi-meter to check either 12v power through the switch (on and off) or check continuity between the black and black-white wire.
Is it all the same or is one method better (safer) than the other. Have wrenched a bit in my younger days but hesitate to jump into an old bike fix without checking with y'all first. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would just put the negative probe on the negative battery terminal and the positive probe on the wire that brings current into the coils (black?). With the key on, toggle the kill switch and see if the volts go on and off appropriately. This way your coils are unplugged and are safe from getting burned out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts