Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kill switch? - CL350

Did the 1969 CL350 come with a kill switch? The PO said NO, and that the owner before him installed one that only kills the lights. Did someone put a switch from a different year on this bike, or was the PO misinformed?
Either way I want to figure out how to hook this switch up so it kills the ignition. Should be pretty straight forward I would think...

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'm pretty sure both of your switches are later model. I believe the '69 came with polished switch housings and no kill switch. The earlier models had an "off" position for the headlights before the laws were changed requiring headlights to be on at all times on bikes, with the later switches only having high and low beam options and no "off" position

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
As delivered when it was new, the dimmer switch is also the on/off switch for the lights. Inside the headlight, the black wire(switched current) plugs into the black wire from the switch cluster. The black/white wire from the switch cluster plugs into the black/white wire in the main harness(goes to the coils).

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I had a new CL350 in 1968, don't remember if it even had a kill switch on the handlebar.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I had a new CL350 in 1968, don't remember if it even had a kill switch on the handlebar.
Yeah, I don't think that started until '70 on the SL models and then came to the CBs and CLs after that. I had a new SL175 in the summer of '70 and it was the first Honda we had in our family with a kill switch

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
No kill switch on a '69, and the housings are polished aluminum. Here's an old pic of mine during its resurrection - ignore the 450 tank, the bike actually is a '69 CL350.

IMG_1416.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok cool, so my 69 didn’t originally have a kill switch. However, I really like the idea of having one, and it’s already there. So now I guess I need to open the headlight and look for the main coil wire?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Not even sure it will be in the headlight case, since the older harnesses weren't designed for the kill switch - but you could find the black wire that feeds the coils under the tank and extend it to the headlight case where it could loop through the kill switch in the bars and back to the coils as the black with white, as the later ones do. Simple enough

1 - 9 of 9 Posts