Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ran a search but didnt find anything...

My 76 CB200 seems to have developed an oil leak near/at the kickstart seal. I noticed a few smears of oil near my right heel after about ten miles of riding and think I have narrowed it down to the kickstart seal since it is wet after a ride. What would cause this exactly? It seems in fairly good shape as far as I can tell from the outside view of it. I have a new Honda seal (Honda 91202-KFL-841) that I plan on replacing it with. I've tried prying out the seal with a dental pick, but after after a few failed attempts and broken dental picks, I decided to stop. I just don't have the time to remove the exhaust and open up the right side case due to working 12 hours a day now but should I just go ahead and do that or are there any tips? I've heard of running a screw into it and prying it out that way but I am worried about rubber shavings getting places it shouldnt.

Also, I am not running it with a lever as the PO didnt have one on when I bought it. I checked parts fiche sites and Honda ones run for about $100! Are there any other models or alternatives I can run instead? What is the spline count and size on it?

Last question, since I am not running a lever, should the shaft be in any certain position normally? For example, should it be turned all the way clockwise or counter clockwise to prevent any damage or leaks? I've noticed it has a bit of play in segments in between the ~120 degrees of rotation it has. Isnt there also a spring inside of the kickstart assembly in the case that would bring it fully to the most clockwise position and not allow the free play that it has? Could it be assembled improperly inside the case? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Think you need to try the screw method but pre drill with a fine drill first, you can mark the drill bit so you don't drill too deep. Do one at the top and one at the bottom and use two pairs of mole grips on the screws to prize it out.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I just did this one on my cb350. I thought it would be easy but it ended up being the most stubborn oil seal yet. I went through a pack of picks and 2 hrs to get it out. My next step was to find a sharp punch and gently tap it in and then leverage it out. All my picks best like they were rubber lol.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have used the above screw method with great results. It is super quick.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a bunch all! I'll give it a shot this weekend since you guys and gal have had good results with it. I'll follow up if needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts