Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta love these old machines... everytime I run it something else breaks.

This morning I was adjusting the idle on the carbs when the kickstart decided that it wanted to engage the running engine. Result: It nearly busted a hole in the crankcase cover. That was immediately followed by a small amount of smoke coming out of the carb pod filter on the same side. Here's a picture of the damage.

Can someone tell me what exactly happened? I'm guessing that maybe the kickstart has a return spring that failed or something along those lines? What do I have to do to fix this problem? As far as the hole in the crankcase goes I'm just going to JB Weld it for now until I can buy a new one.

BTW, the reason I use the kickstart is because the starter only engages the engine for about half a second and then starts slipping and sometimes it's followed by smoke coming from the carb on the same side. Any help with that would be awesome as well. I ordered a working starter from eBay yesterday.

Thanks for all your help... it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: kickstart does still start the motor. But it doesn't return to the proper position. So I did some research on how the kick start works and this is what I found:

when the spring pulls the shaft back the ratchet rides up on the ratchet guide and raises the teeth up on the shaft so the teeth don't hit the teeth on the gear all the time. That is what's happening when you hear the clicking. Then when you kick the kickstarter, the teeth go down and catch on the gear and it turns the shaft.

Apparently the ratchet/ratchet guide is f'd up.

I looked in the Honda Repair Manual and it's a huge job to dissassemble the kickstarter. It requires pulling the engine. :shock: I don't have the tools/facilities neccessary to do that kind of work here in the barracks on Fort Hood. Nor do I have the money to pay someone to do it... NOR do I know anybody in the Central Texas area that likes old bikes enough to help me work on it for cheap. Everyone here buys new cruisers and crotch rockets and when they brake they just pay someone else to fix them.

Anyways, I'm just hoping that it's just the clutch that's slipping on the starter motor and when I swap in the new one from eBay that will solve the problem and I'll be able to use that instead of the kickstart. If it doesn't fix it then I'll just throw the bike away along with the $1100 I've spent on it so far. :x

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
What kind of bike are you talking about here?

I'm about 40 miles south in Georgetown and could help you out but lets get some more details. Have you pulled the clutch side case cover off yet?

Does the base have a Special Services facility with auto repair bays that you can use? In the Navy, all the bases that I was stationed at always had some sort of place where we could work on our cars/bikes.

I'm on the road now heading to NE Indiana but I'll be back next Wed or Thursday and we can schedule something. If nothing else, I'll come over and haul away your trash if you like. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MNellis said:
What kind of bike are you talking about here?

I'm about 40 miles south in Georgetown and could help you out but lets get some more details. Have you pulled the clutch side case cover off yet?

Does the base have a Special Services facility with auto repair bays that you can use? In the Navy, all the bases that I was stationed at always had some sort of place where we could work on our cars/bikes.

I'm on the road now heading to NE Indiana but I'll be back next Wed or Thursday and we can schedule something. If nothing else, I'll come over and haul away your trash if you like. :)
Hey Mike. This is a 75 CB360. I haven't pulled the clutch side cover off yet, but I will be soon when I get the starter from eBay. Why did you ask me that? Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for? I'm hoping putting in a new starter isn't a huge job... according to the Honda Manual I need a special tool to remove the A.C. generator rotor so I can remove the chain from around the starter before pulling it out. However, I was told that on a CB350 all you have to do is unbolt the starter and pull it out, so I'm hoping that the 360 is like that.

We do have a large Auto Service place here. It's called Sprockets with multiple bays, machine shop, lifts, etc etc. I'm not ready to give up on this bike yet. I bought it for $800 and so far have spent an additional $350 on it and put in about 40 hours... I can't quit now and neither of these problems seem big enough to throw in the towel.

If you have the time, I would be forever greatful to have someone with experience on these bikes help me out. Let me know how you want to proceed. Thanks for the help! - Shaun

1 - 4 of 4 Posts