Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Tried to kick start my 76 CJ250T today, the kick start engage on a couple of occasions, but on one cycle the kick starter returned back to the upright position by itself, but as I kicked down on it the kick starter does not engage at all! I didn't hear any sound during the cycle, but the kick starter does return by itself to the upright position. Any thoughts? Do I have to crack open the case at all?

Steve

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
ARE you holding the clutch lever in?..... DON'T....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No didn't hold the clutch lever in at all. Being a non electric start model, why would this be an issue?

Steve

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
The kicker rotates the transmission gears, but requires the clutch to be engaged to transfer that motion to the crankshaft...If you pull the clutch lever while kicking, you are simply spinning the transmission, NOT the "engine"....

Have you replaced/reattached the clutch "lifter" or cable recently?... Could just be an adjustment problem....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bit the bullet today and removed the engine from the bike and as I was lifting the engine out of the frame I heard some clunking noises in the sump. I split the case and saw that the whole kick start assembly had fallen apart. A small circlip, I suspect, that holds the whole assembly together had failed. Replaced with a new one and put the engine back together. Will instal back into frame on my next day off and see how it goes.
Anyway, hopefully problem is sorted.

Steve ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts