Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IM having trouble with my kick start. when i go to kick start my bike its like theres resistance against me some times i can pump threw the cylinders and some times it literaly holds me up, im having to pump threw it with force.
I have just replaced the piston rings. so i know its not a stuck ring. Any suggestions?

My bike is a 1976 cb 360t thanks

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Don't understand the problem.... Engine resistance depends on where in the stroke-cycle the pistons start/are when you kick..... Sounds relatively normal to me.....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:?: you know what i never adjusted the cam chain could this be causing the cylinders to be out of timing????maybe??? hope this makes sence

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
If your cam timing is off for whatever reason, your pistons could be hitting the valves....THAT would cause interferences such as you indicated.....It's hard to ascertain the problem without the engine at hand.... sometimes discriptions are lacking ALL the necessary information.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
i had a problem were my kick start was a notch or two off on the splines
i caused it to intermittently work like that...... it would just stop sometimes
worth a try

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know what you mean! i did aline the cam chain sproket markings parallel flat to the engine head ,and i alined it with the alternator markings LT. The part i realized i didnt do was adjusting the cam chain bolt that sits in the outer part of the engine with the alternator. I wonder if this could be the problem? :?:

I will check the kick starter to see if its lined up in the grooves thanks!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ariel.714 o/c said:
:?: you know what i never adjusted the cam chain could this be causing the cylinders to be out of timing????maybe??? hope this makes sence

so i figured out the problem i had. my carbs where hooked up with out the throttle cables . so when i would try kicking the bike over there was no air flow getting in to the cylinders. silly mistake! butt im super happy i figured it out before i went tearring in to my engine again. my compression test on my right cylinder was at 150 psi my left cyl was at 120 psi. how can i get it to match the right? is this acceptable or do i need to fix the problem? . Also do you happen to know the width to the honda cbs handle bars? Thanks dude!!

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
First, the bad news.... If you performed the compression test correctly (warm engine, throttle and choke open) those numbers are below the minimum spec (170 PSI is "normal", about 153 is minimum).....IF you tested cold, the 150 cylinder is still nominal,(adding 5 to 10 PSI for heating) but less OR a 15 PSI varience between cylinders is rebuild time.... Either way you are due for a top end rebuild.......Sorry to have to be the one to tell you.... :cry: Steve

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
ariel.714 o/c said:
IM having trouble with my kick start. when i go to kick start my bike its like theres resistance against me some times i can pump threw the cylinders and some times it literaly holds me up, im having to pump threw it with force.
I have just replaced the piston rings. so i know its not a stuck ring. Any suggestions?

My bike is a 1976 cb 360t thanks
Have a read here, it may just help with your engine diagnoses. It's a great article on compression testing and leak down testing, which if performed correctly can tell you lots about your engine, happy reading.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... kdown.html

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
66Sprint said:
First, the bad news.... If you performed the compression test correctly (warm engine, throttle and choke open) those numbers are below the minimum spec (170 PSI is "normal", about 153 is minimum).....IF you tested cold, the 150 cylinder is still nominal,(adding 5 to 10 PSI for heating) but less OR a 15 PSI varience between cylinders is rebuild time.... Either way you are due for a top end rebuild.......Sorry to have to be the one to tell you.... :cry: Steve
Well ran another test and i got both cylinders to 150 psi keep in mind this is a cold test . it did take me like five to six kicks is that ok ? also i actually took off my sandals and putt on some sneakers this time :D

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
20 kicks would be fine...You are looking for the maximum PSI reached....(easier to roll it over with the button though)..... Let's ASSUME your compression is acceptable....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i will keep you posted on how she runs. i need to build a wire harness once thats done i will try starting and running the bike. cheers for the replys

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
All you NEED to start it is a engine ground (battery negative) and the battery positive hooked to BOTH black/white stripe wires on the coils.....The other side of the coils goes to the condensers and appropriate point sets...... Done....If fuel and you kick it over, it should fire....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts