Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[I made some edits to this post to better clarify the problem]

Hi All,

The problem is that my kickstart stopped engaging, it turns and springs back just fine, it just doesn't turn over the engine.
The history: 1969 CB350 kickstart only.

I replaced the kickstart mechanism with a K2 model, put the engine back together, and fired it up. The kickstart was working just fine for a short while, turning the engine over, but when I was setting the timing with a strobe (and was getting it just right) and needed to kickstart it once again it stopped engaging and turning the engine over.

Some troubleshooting I've done so far: I took off the sprocket cover to see if the clutch cable was maladjusted, but that didn't help the kickstart engage. I've read that this type of issue could be from the clutch, so I looked at that a bit (but I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for). When I pull the clutch lever in the clutch plates disengage as they should and they fall back together when I release the clutch lever. When I turn the kickstart the clutch doesn't rotate.

The help I'm in need of: I'm not sure how to better troubleshoot the problem. Any help would be much appreciated. Especially things that I can check without splitting the cases open again (I just got her back together and I was so looking forward to ridding her once I got the timing done). If I do need to split the cases open is there something that I should pay closer attention to when assembling the kickstart mechanism?

Thanks,

Justin

·
Sensei
27,069 Posts
You DO NOT kickstart it with the clutch lever pulled to the bars.......Neutral, lever out.....Kick

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I know. I don't kick it with the lever in. I was just trying to explain more info about the clutch as I thought it might have been pertinent to the problem. Any thoughts?

·
Sensei
27,069 Posts
It would be helpful to know the model as well as the year...... IF it's an SL, the kick-idler gear bearing is probably gone/trashed/broken......

·
Registered
8 Posts
I remember doing these recalls, sorta....wasnt there a slot the loop end of the drag spring goes into? I seem to remember it in the lower case, and if you put it back together out of position, it will only kick one time.

Or something like that. Hope this helps.

JimL

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm...I'm not sure what a drag spring is? Is it one of the springs on the shaft inside the case? I didn't put a spring in a slot when I assembled the kickstart mechanism. The return spring is assembled correctly and is still working well.

Anyone else got some ideas about how to begin troubleshooting the problem or other things I can pay special attention to?

Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
You put the circlip on the end of the kick shaft backwards. There is a sharp side and a blunt side of the circlip. If you don't put it on right, it will spring off after about ten kicks.

STOP messing with stuff.

Pull the right engine cover off and see if the kick shaft comes out at all when you pull it. Anything more than one millimeter and you're going in it again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok...now it comes back! Thanks for the memory. Now I remember that twisted spline arrangement on the redesign. It also comes back that you could spread that snap ring too far and it was loose on the shaft.

That sure was a long time ago. This is an interesting forum.

JimL

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Derek you were right, I must've not put the c-clip on correctly because the shaft came right out. What the right way to put the c-clip on?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Feel both sides on the inside edge of the clip. The SHARP edge should point AWAY from the kicker. If the blunt edge is pointing out, it will be able to slide off. Circlips are funny that way and the manuals NEVER mention it. Why don't they just make both sides sharp??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts