Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this is dumb question, but...

back in my BMX days we used to use a small amount of dish soap to put new handgrips on handlebars. the rubber grips eventually took some muscling once you got to a certain point, but made us strong kids and racers. the soap would dry sticky and work as a glue. at least i think i remember doing this? well here i am 20 some years later trying to do something similar. i bought a new kick-start rubber piece the other day and am wondering what you guys would recommend for an easy and long-lasting installation. lube or brut force or ?

dumb question addendum: is the rubber, once installed, supposed to spin freely if it wants to or should it really be GLUED in place. many thanks in advance.
-seth

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I used force with twisting to put it on. Eventually it slipped on. It still "moves" around after giving it a couple kicks, but it doesn't twirl around as if it is free.

·
Registered
608 Posts
just lube it with soap any glue you put on will be pushed out by the knob on the end of the shaft, warm it up with a heat gun or hair dryer, makes the rubber pliable, will go on a lot easier

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Kick start rubbers are the toughest ones to do, by far.

I usually soak them in Xylol for an hour or so first - they'll swell up and be much easier to get on.
In a few days they'll go back to normal size......

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awesome, thanks. surprised i got this many different ideas to try. i don't have a hair dryer or heat gun so i was thinking of boiling the thing and then going the soap route. i'll let you know how i make out.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
uhohferris said:
awesome, thanks. surprised i got this many different ideas to try. i don't have a hair dryer or heat gun so i was thinking of boiling the thing and then going the soap route. i'll let you know how i make out.
Boiling would probably work too......

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Here is another one I use. Spray some brake cleaner on the rubber and it'll slide right on. The cleaner evaporates quickly and in a few minutes it should be firm. The kick start levers have a little lip on them so have them slide off is not usually a big problem.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
I like to apply rubber grease to the stem then dunk the rubber into a mug of hot boiled water for a few seconds before pressing it on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
OR, you can try something new. I always HATED changing grips on my bikes, and it's a frequent thing with motocross and off-road riding. We always had grip glue, and it worked well, but it still made for sore hands and arms after getting them in place. However, we've got a new product in the store, and I am in LOVE with it.

When you put this new grip glue on, it's got the consistency of mineral oil. Extremely slippery, and the grips slide right on. However, you've got 10-25 seconds of working time where it slides like this, and then it turns into a form that I swear is stronger than any super glue. As with all these products I was very hesitant to use it at first, but I finally took a bottle home, took a deep breath...and had both my grips changed in 2 minutes flat with no problems at all. Even better? Read on...

Standard grip glue works ok, but we still would wire braid the ends to keep them from rolling. I absolutely can NOT get these grips to turn, just using this stuff. It's the best I've ever seen, and I swear by it. You should be able to find it online, at any motorcycle dealer, or I'll be happy to get anybody a bottle if they want it. I don't know the price, but here's a pic....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
i've used 3m automotive headliner glue for years in my dirt bike and BMX days.

I always wire wrapped them too though... But now, i do that because it looks rad :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do the hot water business, a squirt of hair spray, jam it on as far as possible, then stick the compressed air nozzle to the outboard side, a quick blast and it should pop on. Theoreticallyspeaking.....

NE

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Thank you for this thread. I managed to get mine on using window cleaner, something I learned when removing tyres.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts