Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on a '65 CL72 with a 305 in the frame.

I replaced the friction disk's in the clutch pack, cleaned everything up and put it back together.
Waited 24 hours for the gasket seal to do it's thing, filled it with oil and got ready to take it around the block.

Put it in Neutral and the the kick start lever just spins freely. The spring is there and it is keeping tension on the lever but it's not engaging the motor. When I put it in 1st gear and push the kick starter the bike will creep along, so it's doing something.

Also of note, when in 1st gear (any gear really) I can roll the bike and not hear the engine turning over at all. Forward or backward makes no difference.

Things I have tried:
1. Adjusted the clutch cable adjusters, to both fully out and then with tension. No affect
2. Adjusted the Clutch engine case adjuster, nothing.
3. Sat and stared at it for a while
4. Called a friend for advice, nothing.
5. Drank a beer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

CB

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
3 through 5 are basically unproductive, but at least #5 is a consolation. :lol: I wonder if the pressure plate is slipped on a quarter-turn off and isn't engaged in the grooves in the center hub inside the basket? happens on 350s and 450s, though I haven't had a 72/77 clutch apart in far longer than I'd like to admit

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Since you are the kind of guy that shares a beer I will try to help here. Having done several clutches on the 305 engines I can tell you they are a PITA. Honda used several different clutches in these. I cannot remember for sure how many plates exactly, but there were some that had one more plate, and some had thicker plates. The aftermarket plates are thicker than most of the factory plates. The first thing to do is measure the new plates against the old plates. On some, I have had to take one driven and one drive plate out to get the right overall thickness. I think what is messing you up is that your clutch pack is just the opposite. Your pack is not thick enough. Try adding another plate. You can put two plates of the same type together. I usually put two steel plates together to increase the thickness. Honda actually did this on the Gold Wing and some CB 750s. Also, you can take out the two wire retaining rings. They do not actually do anything but get in the way.
TOOLS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is fascinating! I had no idea that anything had to line up. I just pulled the disk's out, wiped the basket down ( in doing so I know I turned it a couple of times ) put the new plates in and sealed it up.

Is there a way to check and make sure it is installed correct before sealing up the cover?
Like leave the gasket off and bolt the side cover on, put some oil in and fire it up.

Thanks everyone for the quick response!

CB

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
You can feel it go down into the grooves when you install it. You can check the clutch engagement by trying the kickstarter before putting the cover on.
TOOLS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks TOOLS, anything else I should be on the look out for? I'm down to my last gasket :(

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
As long as the gasket is new and flexible you can reuse it. Just do not use gasket sealer on it, it does not require any.
TOOLS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Happy to report, I think the problem is fixed.

Apparently the clutch friction disk's that I received are substantially thinner than what they should be. Got the right size set, and everything is working again. Lesson learned...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts