Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The kick starter on my 70 450 hasn't worked since I got it but I haven't taken the time to do anything about it until now. I've started to take the side covers off the engine for clean up and figured it would be a good time to look further into the kick starter problem. I'm sure there are several people here that has had the same same problem so I know I'm asking the right guys.
The spring is intact and it just seems that the kicker shaft is not engaging. Does anyone have pictures or can point to a number on bikebandit's diagram that could show me what part is probably broken before I get any further into it? I'd like to have the parts before I tear the engine down. Secondly, I'm pretty sure the engine will have to be pulled out and the upper and lower cases separated, correct?
Any help is appreciated.
-Nathan

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Here's the fiche picture.
If spring #8 is ok, then it's one of the other parts.
When you kick it over, the shaft turns, and the helically-cut gear #5 is force inwards to engage first gear countershaft - this then transmits to the mainshaft, through the clutch, then to the crankshaft. That's why it doesn't work when you pull in the clutch lever. electric start goes directly to the crankshaft, so it always works.
The other spring #13 slips into a slot in the lower crankcase, and disengages the gear when finished with the kick stroke.....
You have to split the cases to get to it all (except #8).

Kickstarts on 450's pretty much suck - you get about half a stroke at it, because they don't engage at the top of the kick, they take a while to grab.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tbpmusic said:
Here's the fiche picture.
If spring #8 is ok, then it's one of the other parts.
When you kick it over, the shaft turns, and the helically-cut gear #5 is force inwards to engage first gear countershaft - this then transmits to the mainshaft, through the clutch, then to the crankshaft. That's why it doesn't work when you pull in the clutch lever. electric start goes directly to the crankshaft, so it always works.
The other spring #13 slips into a slot in the lower crankcase, and disengages the gear when finished with the kick stroke.....
You have to split the cases to get to it all (except #8).

Kickstarts on 450's pretty much suck - you get about half a stroke at it, because they don't engage at the top of the kick, they take a while to grab.
So I feel a bit ridiculous but... all this time I've peen pushing the kick lever down and it wouldn't engage, well after reading your post about them not engaging until about half way down or more I went out and tried it and sure enough, it's good! What do they say, better to keep your mouth shut and let people assume you don't know what you talking about than to open it and remove all doubt?
Anyway I'm pretty happy that my first reaction was incorrect, and I learned something about these things!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts