Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this 76 cj 360 t. It has no keys. I am told there is a 3 or 4 digit number on the locks that you can take to a vendor and they can make you keys. I have looked at the ignition lock the gas tank lock and the seat lock. I don't see any numbers. What is my next move?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did find a number on the ignition tumbler 5WC X X X but several sources have said it is not a match for anything they can make. What is my next move?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Or purchase a new/used lock set for the ignition and seat.
The gas tank cover isn't a true lock, any key will open it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You have to get under the edge of the seat and remove the two nuts on either side of the seat post.
(The post that is attached to the seat that goes down into the lock.)
I think they're 11mm? Maybe 10.
It's tight, but it can be done.
That will allow you to open the seat and access the phillips screws that secure the lock mechanism.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked this question elsewhere. I see factory ignition switches going for 150$ I see generic ignition switches and seat locks going for much less. Can I buy the generic locks and have them keyed to match? Any advice on this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know this just keeps getting weirder. I pulled my seat. Removed the seat lock and it has the same alphanumeric code as the ignition. AND..... I just discovered another lock attached to the steering column underneath the front forks. This bike is all original with only 3746 miles on it. It even has the original tires. Where can I get accurate factual information on key codes sothat I can get a correct key for this bike.please

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took the seat lock and model, date of manufacture to my local key and locksmith here in Elgin il. In less than 3 hours he had 2 keys that fit everything beautifully. Less than 33 dollars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts