Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on a cb350. The first durty old set of ignition coils (the right one) melted on me during like 5 minutes of scootin up and down my road. I replace them with another set which are in good condition. A month later (not even riding it) the second one (the left coil) dies on me. I take them off and inspect it, and noticed the right coil melted on me just like the other one. Keep in mind this is only from simply idling the bike for a few minutes a day or so. The original right one which looked as though it melted still worked, and the left new coil still worked so I swapped them, and have attatched them onto the same mount. I now have spark on both cylinders but I fear that they might die on me again because something could be causing this to happen. The timing is dead on, the valves were just adjusted, and the battery is fully charged. What could be causing this!??!! Thanks guys

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
could be your regulator check charging output with a multimeter, if you're getting more than 15v its a bad thing. mostly people have issues with under charging though..
I'd check grounds too other than that if your timing is really hosed the dwell could be to long but it probably would not run..
It is possible that your stash of coils were all on the way out, a popular mod is to fit new xs650 coils, ran me 25 bucks a piece.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ihatespeed said:
could be your regulator check charging output with a multimeter, if you're getting more than 15v its a bad thing. mostly people have issues with under charging though..
I'd check grounds too other than that if your timing is really hosed the dwell could be to long but it probably would not run..
It is possible that your stash of coils were all on the way out, a popular mod is to fit new xs650 coils, ran me 25 bucks a piece.

Thanks man! il look into those xs650 coils for sure! my buddy has a set of 2 rz350 coils that might aklso work, but they came off a two stroke bike. Il try those first when i get a chance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts