Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have reallybstarted logging miles on the 450 and she's running like a raped ape. The only problem I'm having is lights. My brakelight, headlight (both low and high beam), blinkers, and turn signals are working fine. My taillight was out so I replaced the bulb with a new on and turned the key on. Worked fine. Then as soon as I hit the brake it popped. The bike was not running. Also the dash lights keep going out as well. Anyone know the proper bulb voltage or any other items that could cause only those to pop? At first I thought voltage regulator but it popped without the bike running. Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
SOME automotive bulbs won't take the vibrational abuse a twin cylinder motorcycle can dish out.... Motorcycle bulbs tend to have stronger filaments/ better filament support..... Voltage is 12V.... Corroded contact points tend to create "hotspots" that can cause bulb failures...... "OLD" bulbs are already old, and all bulbs have a limited lifespan......"New" doesn't guarantee "good"..........

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm with you on those things. Could be the cause on the dash bulbs. It doesn't explain the taillight though. It blew as soon as I hit the brake with the motor off. The housing is brand new with no corrosion. Any thoughts there?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
......"New" doesn't guarantee "good".......... Defective bulb.......

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I have tried 3 different types of bulbs and all keep blowing. I also noticed that when the bike is running the taillight gets brighter as the revs go higher. The taillight usually lasts about a day or two before blowing.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Read DC voltage at the battery terminals while revving engine...... IF it reads over 14.7 Volts, the regulator is bad......This can temporarily over volt the battery and blow bulbs even with the engine off.....

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts