Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1980. Local guy has one, not running, but cosmetically very nice. He said it was running last year and quit - carb leaks some gas. Asking $500. Looks like a fun 1975 technology street/trail bike. Anyone know about these? Looks hard to find parts for.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
$500 sounds nearly right but only if it has a title and is registerable.

Rugged machines, otherwise. I had a '74 F7, which was renamed the KE175 the next year. Nice enough machine. Pulled me around town at ~45mph and did fine on ordinary trails. It had a fantastic ignition, I remember that. I've never seen such a fat blue spark from just easily kicking it over. And it never ONCE fouled a plug on me.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Kirk

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I had a 70-something KE125 with a PSI performance pipe that I got for free, and man that thing FLEW! I never did like the rotary carb/timing thing but if kept in good shape they're really no trouble I suppose.

Mine had a dual plug head on it too. He's right about that spark though! I once zapped myself and ended up throwing the plug WAY ACROSS the yard never to be found. My arm felt funny all day and I kept wondering if I was having a heart attack..

I'd try to talk him down if I were you but otherwise, go for it... Always fun ripping around in the dirt. :twisted:

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
439 Posts
if you need a contact person or parts, a buddy of mine finished a KE for his daughter a few months back. email me and I'll connect you 2. danWI

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Kawasaki KE175 enduro? - Woot! Got it!

Guy just emailed me back Sunday, said if I still wanted it for my original offer it's mine. Pick it up Tuesday AM.... hopefully an easy fix and my son and I will be dirt bikin! (I'll use the CL175....)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
He's gonna smoke your ass on that KE.. :lol:
Heh, possibly. Keep in mind that I do the maintenance on BOTH bikes though - I can make sure I'm faster than he is.

It's home! Good spark, good compression, carb is so full of gunk that I can't even get the slide out - so that's project #1.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
100 lbs. lighter makes a big difference...

Here it is, in my garage - it really is in as nice shape as it looks. Came with service manual, owner's manual, toolkit, and all the lights etc. that aren't installed now:

And here is why it doesn't run:

I can't get the slide out of the carb - can I dunk the whole thing in carb cleaner or maybe soak it in something else to take it apart?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I'd just start with plain ol spray carb cleaner.. Keep shooting it and trying..

I've never seen hair growing on a float before... :shock: :lol:

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
I've had more than one look just like that - thick black/brown hardened varnish.

For getting the slide out, I'd try the spray and retry method mentioned.

I also might try just plopping the whole thing in the gallon can of carb cleaner. Take my chances with swollen O-rings. Or, maybe just soak the whole thing in a tub of Simple Green, although SG just doesn't do much against hardened varnish like that.

Overall, looks like a great project. I love 'em like that.

Good luck,

Kirk

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, got the slide out. Removed main jet - shot PB blaster into the needle - heated with heat gun until it bubbled - repeat, repeat repeat - gave a little tug and out it came. The needle was covered with brown gum-like gunk I had to scrape off with a fingernail. Came clean though.

To remove the "needle jet" (where the main needle goes) on this Mikuni carb - manual says it "drops out the top of the carb" - so it's just pressed in and I should be able to push it out the top where the slide used to be?

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Yes...You may have to tap it with a hardwood dowel after the jet (which actually secures it) is removed....
Do it over your lap,.... it falls out all of a sudden, and could damage/deform easily hitting the floor....Don't ask how I know.....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got it out - there are TWO washers under the main jet - I was pressing on the second washer rather than the end of the needle jet. So it's pretty much apart now. I'll pick up a can of real carb dip and let it sit in there awhile until I get my rebuild kit with new gaskets etc.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Only let it sit in the dip until clean....
That stuff will remove all the coating from the casting if left too long...
Again, Don't ask......Wear gloves....

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I second what Steve said about dip time. Only let it sit in there until clean, or until it softens up the deposits so that they can be sprayed out with spray carb cleaner, etc.. A half hour to an hour should do it. If left in too long it makes the entire carb body a grey colored ***** mess that's very hard to clean off.

Yes, unfortunately I speak from experience..

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
A half hour to an hour should do it. :
Awesome, answered my next question before I even posted it.

For your next trick, I challenge you to answer my next question before I even know what it is!

Thanks.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Yes, the brass parts can be soaked longer IF necessary, but two hours or so is plenty....LOL.....

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's a pretty safe bet that would have been my next question - thanks!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts