Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
leave the pigtail hanging, and disconnect it further up by the coils. top left in the second pic above.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright cool. I really dont know anything about electrical systems and wiring, is there anything you guys would suggest to help? Thank you btw

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Getting a schematic is a good place to start. Are you going to tear down the engine, or did you just pull it to refurb the bike? Someone will be along with a schematic soon, if not you can start an electrical thread to ask the questions you have about the wiring/electrical on the bike... the 450 wiring is pretty basic

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Here is a colored one but it has been changed for a Kohler RR combo.
RR.jpg

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im really only going to tear apart the bottom end of the engine. As far as i know my only issues are shifting and idling(i believe cuz the previous owner put very large jets in the carbs to try and never need to touch the petcock) so all im planning to do atm to the engine is replace the transmission completely and inspect the shift forks and swap out all of the original bolts

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Im really only going to tear apart the bottom end of the engine. As far as i know my only issues are shifting and idling(i believe cuz the previous owner put very large jets in the carbs to try and never need to touch the petcock) so all im planning to do atm to the engine is replace the transmission completely and inspect the shift forks and swap out all of the original bolts
Not sure what the jets and the petcock have to do with each other in his thinking... but since the petcock has been mentioned, if the bike has stock carbs you need to be sure the petcock is off each and every time you stop - even if only for an hour. The stock carbs, even in good running order, are known to overflow slightly and weep into the cylinders, past an open intake valve and the piston rings and into the bottom end, diluting the oil. It would be wise for you to change the oil before you run it at all, just in case this has already happened previously. It isn't an epidemic situation, but it does happen on occasion and it only takes once to have damage happen to the top end parts that would suffer badly running on diluted oil. As for your transmission issues - be sure to check the shift detent parts as well, the rollers can get sloppy on the shafts of the small detent arms that help control the shift drum, and the star assembly on the end of the drum gets worn with age as well

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, thanks for all the info! Im going to pull the engine tomorrow and get started on the transmission. Im also going to start an electrical thread soon for suggestions on what ill need there

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Keep us posted with info and pics regarding the trans.. you said "shifting issues", can u elaborate as to exactly what the issue is?

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
You can block it up off the cover and the exhaust studs leaning forward. The covers are just thin castings doesn't take much to break them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts