Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, yes i'm still here and making progress on my little project. getting closer to final assembly. wait till you see this frankenstein. a question about upgrading air filters...

has anyone successfully fitted a set of k & n type air pods on stock kei-hin carbs on a 450 with the battery box NOT relocated? does k & n make a pod small enough to fit in that area? AND any chance you have a photo as proof? i'm ready to order some pods but just talked to a friend that suggested the battery will probably have to be relocated. bummer, i wasn't planning on that. i am ABSOLUTELY not keeping my side covers(if anybody wants them), so the long foam uni-filters (which i previously purchased) aren't really an aesthetically pleasing option for me now. ???

in case i haven't shared, a quick exhaust mockup on my freshly murdered out 450 little power plant. i can't wait to ride this!
[attachment=0:fdkyq2ff]Mobile Photo Feb 5, 2010 11 09 51 AM.jpg[/attachment:fdkyq2ff]

Attachments

·
Registered
7,061 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks like we've got some followers here ronny but it's just you and me with this possible dilemma. i'm anxious to hear how you make out and i'm gonna take some measurements myself tonight and research some k&n specs...

i like the look of those, chrome with silver colored filter paper- or is that metal as well? brand? where'd you find em?

-seth

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
uhohferris said:
looks like we've got some followers here ronny but it's just you and me with this possible dilemma. i'm anxious to hear how you make out and i'm gonna take some measurements myself tonight and research some k&n specs...

i like the look of those, chrome with silver colored filter paper- or is that metal as well? brand? where'd you find em?

-seth
Seth, I tested today and the battery tray fits in between the filters. As my bike had a home made tray I don't know exactly how high it will sit but it fits.
I got the filters from a bike company here in Sweden that mostly deals with parts for vintage english machines but they are universal fit so you should not have any problems to find them. Total filter length is 80 mm and width is 74. Inside diameter is 52 mm but is no problem to fit on the 50 mm carb mouth.
As GB mentions is has metal mesh.
[attachment=0:v14f0z4z]SSA51111-small.JPG[/attachment:v14f0z4z]

Attachments

·
Registered
7,061 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
k&n's came in and man am i psyched! i'll check my battery box clearance but i've done so much fab work on this bike this winter i'm confident i'll get things to fit. of course now i'm also concerned about carb jetting. is that in fact something i need to upgrade? i remember reading it here before and i'll go back and look for previous posts, but off hand, anyone care to chime in on the subject? carb re-jetting upon changing over to air pods?

ps. notice the hint of my drilled out clutch cover on the other pretty side. saving those pics for the grand reveal hopefully coming up soon...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
carb re-jetting after upgrading to pods, nobody wants to comment on this?

sneak peak of the newly painted tank and how my k&n's just barely fit with stock battery box (which i still have plans for as you can see). AND i know this isn't the place but i'm really proud of my fender chop job as well. thought i'd share...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
uhohferris said:
carb re-jetting after upgrading to pods, nobody wants to comment on this?
My bike (CB450 K5) did not have any filters when I got it and I ran it 300 miles like that before my project started so in my case pod filters will be an improvement. My left carb had 150 main jet and right 130 !!??

I have asked the same question as you on this forum and made the following conclution.
The CB450 CV carbs are not very sensitive to changes to the air filters and everything between 130 to 150 main jet seems to be a "safe zone". Gurus Steve and Bill use 135 MJ with Uni filters and their bikes seem happy with that.

I will start up my bike as it is with different jets (slight possibility that I have carbs from different years as the CB450 K1 to K5 used everything from 130 to 150 MJ as standard) and keep an eye on the spark plug colors.
Also my bike seemed to want the air screw 1.5 to 2 turns out to idle well but that might be different now after my top end rebuild.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cb450, see post above from znabb...

i'm not gonna order any new jets obviously until i start this thing up and see what happens. i'm leaning heavily towards we'll be able to get away with what we have (stock jets in my case).

welcome aboard man,
seth

1 - 16 of 16 Posts